XXVIII- practice

(Y/n) placed her folder back in its place on her desk. It was Monday afternoon and she'd just finished her last class, however instead of going to an extracurricular or spending time with her roommate or friends she had a mentoring session.

Even though Gabriel knew she wasn't even a protective so there wasn't anything he needed to mentor her in, he still took advantage of his posing as her mentor.

"I'll be back after my session." (Y/n) said to Chloé.

"Have fun!" Her roommate waved her off cheerfully.

The urge to respond with a snarky comment was near irresistible but (Y/n) just smiled stiffly and walked out. The room she shared with Chloé was gradually becoming more and more empty on her side as certain trinkets and necessities were moved into Gabriel's room as he demanded more and more of her time.

(Y/n) muttered curses beneath her breath as she made her way towards Gabriel's room, which at that point had practically become her own.

She didn't even knock before entering brashly and was taken aback at the sight.

Gabriel was stood in front of his mirror with a portion of his shirt pulled up, but that wasn't what (Y/n) was focused on as she may have been in another circumstance. He was prodding at a prominent scar on his side that was surrounded by numerous smaller ones, some appearing older than others.

But what really caught (Y/n)'s attention about this scene were the tiniest of tears that had pricked his pink eyes.

"Are you alright?" She asked softly, her frustrations concerning him had been pushed aside in favor of what she deemed more important for that moment.

He jolted and pulled his shirt down bashfully. "Y-yes... You're early."

"What happened?" (Y/n) took a step towards him and Gabriel in turn took a step back, it was like the opposite of what had been going on for the past week. (Y/n) huffed in annoyance. "You're always needing to know everything about what's going on with me and my day!" She exclaimed. "Just tell me if you're being hurt."

"How was your day?" He changed the subject promptly, making (Y/n) groan once again.

"Gabriel, you're hurt." She stated. "Is this recent? Do you need to go to the nurse or anything?"

He paused before saying anything, his contemplative gaze was fixed on the floor and then slowly lifted to see the genuine worry etched into his mentee's features. "... You care about me?"

"If that's what you need to hear to tell me if you're okay... Then sure, I care about you." She knew deep down that she would likely regret that sentiment as he'd take it entirely the wrong way but was too concerned to care. Perhaps in a sense that meant she did care for him, but not in the way he wanted her to.

"You'll sit with me, okay?" He got onto his bed and sat cross legged, when (Y/n) went to follow suit she was quickly pulled into his lap and engulfed her in a warm embrace. "Stay here..." Gabriel mumbled.

(Y/n) sighed and made herself comfortable in his arms, she supposed that if she wanted anything out of him then she'd have to play his game by his rules. What she didn't know was the mental note Gabriel ecstatically made that this was the first time (Y/n) didn't struggle or stiffen up when held by him, he wanted her to feel safe and comfortable in his arms... Like they were home.

"Will you tell me who has been hurting you?" (Y/n) questioned gently, she didn't want to be harsh with him for the fear of making him distrustful. She had good intentions for Gabriel, she just didn't want anything bad to happen.

His grasp on her tightened but not to an uncomfortable degree, it was less to make sure she stayed still and more to reassure him that she was there and was safe. It was embarrassing for Gabriel to tell her how he'd sustained his injuries becuase he was meant to be able to defend her. What good would he be to (Y/n) if he couldn't even defend himself?

"It's no one." He breathed out.

"Gabriel." She said a tad more sternly.

He pushed his face into her neck, breathing in the scent of her hair.

"Gabriel." She repeated.

"Sorry." He pulled away and placed his chin on top of her head. "I'm really sorry, it's hard telling you because... I don't want you to think that I'm weak."

"I'll never think that about you." She said sincerely, of all the negatives she could attribute to Gabriel, 'weak' was definitely not one of them.

"You're uninfected, you need someone strong enough to-"

"Gabriel." She again said his name, effectively grounding him.

"I'm sorry." He apologized once more, they had fallen into a sort of dynamic that neither one of them were used to where (Y/n) seemed to have partial control over Gabriel.

His breathing seemed to slow as he calmed himself to the point where he could effortlessly just... Tell her. "My father's a sadistic." Gabriel said. "That's it. I'm at boarding school now, I don't need to go home for six weeks and when I'm done here I'm never seeing him again."

(Y/n) didn't quite know what to say but before she could even squeeze a word in she heard a small cry leave Gabriel as he began to speak again.

"I can keep you safe, I really can, trust me. I won't let anything like this happen to you, I won't let anyone like him hurt you." Somewhat of a dam had been opened for Gabriel as he lay down, taking (Y/n) down with him still in his arms. "I promise to protect you."

"This isn't what we should be talking about." She frowned. "Does your mom know about this?"

"... I don't want to talk about my parents.." He said quietly.

"Is she a sadistic too?"

"No!" Gabriel barked a little more loudly than he was intending. He quietened down shamefully and began to stroke (Y/n)'s hair as a sort of apology for raising his voice. "My mother never loved him, she was a possessive I think but hadn't found her beloved by the time my father fell for her. She ran away when I was young and left me with him... Dad still looks for her but... I think she's dead."

The more selfish part of (Y/n) (or perhaps just the part of her focused on self preservation) wanted to point out that surely Gabriel would know how detrimental forcing someone into a relationship was due to his mother's experience. She stopped herself for a few reasons: the main one being that it would be about the biggest dick move she could pull right now. But also sadistics were a whole different story to most other infected people... Well, that was according to the obsessives, possessives and especially the protectives.

"You don't need to say anything..." Gabriel told her, he adjusted in the bed that they'd been sharing for a few nights now into a position that would be comfortable for both of them and kept (Y/n) close to him. "Just stay here."