XIX- justify

"You know it's not your fault, right?" Harvey asked calmly.

(Y/n) hesitated before showing him a soft nod.

That morning had been horrendous for her, for a lot of people. She felt around the back of her head, trying to find the spot that was shorter than the rest.

When police were at the school that morning after Vlod's body was discovered they also found the piece of (Y/n)'s hair that had been buried under litres and litres of blood. That was when they called off the investigation all together, this was clearly a crime of passion (the forty-three stab wounds also played into that narrative) and when a murder was motivated by love it was hardly viewed as a crime at all.

There had been minimal buzz among students that morning since stuff like this wasn't out of the ordinary.

"Do you-"

"I have no idea." (Y/n) said before Harvey could complete his question. She knew what he was going to ask, it was all anyone was asking: did she know who did it? Even if there was no investigation there was still curiosity surrounding it, for Harvey in particular since this could have very well been done by someone with the intent of defending (Y/n).

The only person who (Y/n) knew was interested in her in that way was Lloyd... But it made zero sense for him to kill Vlod.

Everything made zero sense.

No one even cared he was dead, it was just so strange for her.

Lloyd watched (Y/n) and Harvey solemnly and in silence. He felt a tinge of sadness surrounding the death of his mentee although he was mostly mourning the loss of Vlod's usefulness.

He also didn't even have the hair which was frustrating to say the very least.

As fascinating as he found stalking (Y/n) and studying her life, Lloyd knew he couldn't hang around there forever. Besides, having Harvey in view massively sullied the whole experience.

He returned to his room and itched at his irritated arm, an aggressive rash had popped up and wasn't going away. Lloyd owed it to his strain being overactive, it gave him so much stress he felt constantly on the edge of a mental breakdown.

Lloyd opened his wardrobe, a shelf on the top had been dedicated to anything (Y/n) related. In his opinion, it was currently pitifully small compared to what most other obsessives had for their partners.

A pretty lock of her hair would've really brought it together.

What he really wanted was a vial of blood but he hadn't trusted Vlod to do that without waking her and was glad he didn't.

Both of his parents each had a vial of each other's blood and he thought the sentiment was just so sweet.

A light knock came at his door and Lloyd disappointedly shut his wardrobe where he could admire (Y/n) later.

"Yes..?" He called.

The door was pushed open to reveal a tall girl with dirty blonde hair, she was in yellow uniform. A bright smile was painted across her cheeks as she held her hand out.

"Hey! I'm Frankie!" She introduced herself.

Lloyd looked her up and down in confusion. "Hello, Frankie?"

"You're Lloyd Ginger, right?"

He nodded silently.

"I'm your new mentee since... Um, well, you know what happened to Vlod." Her hand was still sticking out so Lloyd hesitantly shook it.

"Ah, r-right." He frowned and turned away. "Do you not have your own mentor?"

"Uh, yeah, but she has really bad hay fever."

"Why is that relevant?" Lloyd understood that he was coming off as a bit rude but was just severely uninterested in getting another mentee. She'd only fuck up like Vlod did.

"For the junior school trip? She can't go into the woods so..."

"Oh... I forgot about that." He mumbled, Lloyd then lit up with the realisation that (Y/n) would be there. If he didn't have a mentee then he wouldn't possibly be able to go. "It's nice to meet you, Frankie." He said without looking directly at the first year.

"Cool!" She exclaimed cheerfully. "Let me know when you'd like to have our first session!"

(Y/n) was still in a slump that night when she met with the uninfected club. They'd all obviously heard about it and were sympathetic to (Y/n)'s position.

It was nice for her to be surrounded by people who recognised the murder for being the heinous act it was rather than a 'necessary precaution' as the police had called it.

Vlod was barely an adult and he was already gone, whether what he was doing was wrong or not didn't much matter in (Y/n)'s mind or in the minds of the other uninfected students. Vlod didn't deserve what happened to him on any level.

Stabbed to death. Forty-three stabs was just brutal and the opposite of 'necessary'.

"It just fucking sucks." She said to Clementine and Wes who nodded in agreement.

"Unfortunately this is just the way it is. It's hard to recall a murder case where someone has actually got proper justice." Clementine placed her hand on (Y/n)'s shoulder and showed her a gentle smile.

"Did you know Vlod?" Wes asked, it pained him that the part he was most focused on was the competition of whoever killed Vlod. It wasn't that Wes thought death was a good thing, it's just... This kid had taken some of (Y/n)'s hair and Wes didn't know what he himself would've done in that situation. He'd be lying to himself if the methods taken by Vlod's murderer didn't come to mind as a reaction to someone else being after (Y/n).

But Wes recognised that side of himself as bad and suppressed it like hell.

"Not very well." (Y/n) answered vaguely, this whole Lloyd malarkey wasn't going away and she didn't want it out in the open as of now.