XXXVI- final night

Wes had to leave after not a lot of time and it was back to staring at the ceiling. There wasn't much to do in the med bay so it was painfully boring for (Y/n) to be there.

After a while one of the nurses entered and gave her a tray of food for her dinner. It looked like something close to the food served in prisons but (Y/n) hadn't eaten enough that day so she gladly welcomed whatever slop they put in front of her.

Part way through eating the unidentifiable food the door to the room she was staying in flew open.

"Gabriel!" (Y/n) gasped upon his entry. "What are you doing here?"

"How are you feeling?" He was trying to keep a calm exterior but was having a bit of an internal crisis, not only becuase (Y/n) was hurt but also becuase he didn't want to get caught sneaking in here when he wasn't supposed to.

"I'm... Fine, but you're not meant to-"

"I know." He cut her off with a sigh. Gabriel sat on the chair that Wes had been sat at. "I wanted to apologize."

(Y/n) frowned. "It wasn't your fault I hurt my ankle, you were way ahead of me at the time."

"Exactly." He said solemnly while reaching out the stroke (Y/n)'s hair. "I should be with you... To protect you."

"You don't have to be around me all the time to do that." (Y/n) said gingerly and averted her eyes to continue eating the disgusting food she'd been given.

"I failed you..."

"No, you didn't. It's not even that bad." (Y/n) didn't particularly like assuming the role to comfort Gabriel but this was the kind of thing that could send him on a downward spiral. "I'll be out of here in the morning."

"Only because you have to be, we're going back to A.L.F.E. in the morning. You should really be resting for longer."

"I can basically walk on it now as long as it's not for too long." (Y/n) mentioned.

Gabriel tensed. "Please don't, exercising too much too prematurely is just going to cause even more damage and I-" He stopped himself. "I never want to see you in pain, (Y/n)."

(Y/n) didn't say anything, she squinted at him slightly. It was difficult not to pity him but at the same time she wanted to view him as nothing more than a shackle around her neck.

"I need to go... I'll get in trouble if I stay too long." He reluctantly stood up. "You'll be okay?"

"Yeah... I'll see you in the morning."

(Y/n) watched Gabriel leave curiously, having too much pity for him was dangerous. Even if he wasn't doing it on purpose it still made (Y/n) play into his hands.

She placed the plastic cutlery down and set the tray aside so she could lay down.

(Y/n) carefully pulled the covers away from her so she could see her bandaged ankle. She was still contemplating whether she should go out and meet whoever wrote her that note.

In all fairness, the med center was closer to the northern edge of the forest than the dorms were so she wouldn't have to walk too far.

Whatever her decision was could wait though, there was plenty of time until midnight.

That was until there wasn't any time at all.

She had ten minutes until she had to meet the perpetrator. Of course there was nothing binding about the note, she could easily not go but the curiosity got the best of her.

(Y/n) winced as her foot touched the ground but still stood up. She tried to keep her sharpened breaths to a minimum since she didn't want to get caught.

She stumbled over to where some medical equipment was kept and managed in the relative darkness to pull out some painkillers that should last her however long this meeting took. She was still dressed in the clothes from earlier that day and she put a shoe on her uninjured foot and just wrapped up the other one in more bandages since her ankle was too swollen to put her walking shoes on.

As she left the medical center she saw a small antiseptic spray bottle resting on a table. It was an alkaline cleaning solution. (Y/n) lifted it up and shook it to feel that it was around half full, it wasn't exactly pepper spray but would do the trick if she really needed to get away.

Getting out of the medical center itself was pretty easy, but all of her stuff, including her phone which would have provided her a flashlight, was back in the dormitories.

(Y/n) narrowed her eyes to try and make out her surroundings and not walk into too many trees as she navigated her way to the meeting point.

It was only a few steps into her journey that an overwhelming sense of regret overwhelmed her.

One part of her urged her to turn back, but the other part said that if this person was a danger to her then it was surely better to know.

The painkillers began to kick in and (Y/n) found it easier to walk on her ankle, though she was careful as she knew what this was likely causing it further damage.

She could only imagine how insane she looked as she limped through the woods veiled in darkness to meet some anonymous figure.

As she neared the edge of the forest she could begin to see some light unless her eyes, that had only slightly adjusted to the darkness, were playing tricks on her.

She slowly approached this light and it grew brighter and larger until the torch was shone in her face.

"(Y/n)." A familiar voice said happily. "I wasn't sure you'd come."

(Y/n) blocked her eyes at the sudden invasion of far too much light on her retinas, but even without seeing the who it was she knew that voice anywhere.

"Harvey?"