VIII- first aid

"That was really rude!" (Y/n) exclaimed as Gabriel continued to pull her through the school.

"We're having our session now." He seemed to be completely ignoring what she was saying.

(Y/n) huffed in annoyance, they were meant to be doing this Friday but Gabriel's entitled ass was demanding her now. He wasn't making the greatest first impression.

She managed to writhe her wrist out of his hand and pulled it to her chest, both of them paused their steps.

"Come on, we don't have all day."

"No, we'll meet at the time we agreed upon and you'll stay out of my business."

Gabriel crossed his arms and glared at (Y/n). "You're coming back to my dorm for our mentoring session." He stated.

She lifted her chin to try and stand as tall as possible despite him towering her quite easily.

"Make me."

And that was what Gabriel did.

(Y/n) brushed her uniform down with a sharp exhale after he finally put her on the floor once they were in his dorm.

"Let's make this quick." He said boredly while pulling a first aid kit out of his drawer.

(Y/n) was beginning to regret choosing to pretend to be protective. Vlod's mentorship session was basically taking pictures with a dash of arts and crafts but (Y/n) was getting a fucking crash course in nursing.

"You really don't want to do this, huh?" She mumbled while taking a seat beside Gabriel.

"I don't think you can really speak on that considering I just carried you here." He responded monotonously.

(Y/n) shrugged. "You're meant to encourage learning."

"I feel like keeping your lover safe would be encouragement enough."

"O-of course it is..." (Y/n) said quickly and nervously, "You're with someone then?"

Gabriel frowned and shook his head.

'Surprise, surprise.' (Y/n) thought, he didn't have to most loving exterior.

"It's never too early to learn." He said.

"Maybe I could practice on you." (Y/n) suggested, pointing towards the multitude on injuries dashed across his visible skin.

"What?"

"You've got cuts and bruises all over." She replied, confused at his confusion. "Where are they from?"

Gabriel looked at (Y/n) with a neutral expression for several seconds and then looked away. "We need to begin." He said quietly.

"Hey, you can tell me." She softened her tone a bit, even if she wasn't all that keen on Gabriel (Y/n) didn't like the idea of anyone getting hurt.

She saw his eye twitch the tiniest amount but then he just shook his head. "Your concern is kind but it doesn't much matter."

"Does no one ask you about this? Do no teachers see this or your friends or-"

"(Y/n)." He said her name lowly to silence her. "It really does not matter."

"Yes, it does." (Y/n) placed her hand over Gabriel's, it was calloused in the areas that weren't plastered over.

Gabriel felt a strange sort of warmth about her, no one really ever inquired about his wellbeing as most assumed it was just him defending his lover's honor. Fights were common after all but (Y/n)'s mind went to worry as opposed to brushing his hurt aside.

"I was in a fight." He muttered.

"Gabriel." She said his name with a raised eyebrow, not believing his excuse.

"I'm not lying."

There was a moment of silence between them where his pink eyes were just staring back into her (e/c) ones, slowly finding himself lost in her soft gaze.

"Fine... Just don't get into a fight again, okay?"

Gabriel didn't say anything back, he just began to unpack the contents of the first aid kit carefully. His hand felt cold without (Y/n)'s own smaller one covering it.

He found himself looking back at her hand that now rested on the desk, the (s/c) skin that covered was untainted.. it was clear and pure unlike his. How easily someone with bad intentions could drain all the blood from her hand, cut up her delicate skin or snap every flimsy bone. It disturbed Gabriel greatly to think about, that was what someone like Wes would do to her.

From her reaction at being taken away clearly no one had ever enforced her to not be around such dangerous people. That was fine. Gabriel didn't mind doing that himself.

He decided then that he would defend his little mentee as best he could. He liked to think this task he'd given himself was from the goodness in his heart and not the warmth of her touch or his own attraction to her gentleness.

She seemed to care for him even when she had no reason to, she cared for him more than people who had known him for years. She cared for him more than the people who were meant to care for him the most...

"How much do you know about first aid?"

"Uh, not a lot." She answered. "I once held a leaf over my friend's eye after he got a huge cut on it but I don't think it helped much."

"Yeah, I guess I should start off by saying that when you have an open wound keeping it clean is pretty important." He lifted out a small clear bottle. "You can use saline solution to clean it and use gloves to prevent any bacteria on your own hands form getting into the cut." Gabriel then took out some medical latex gloves.

"But surely stopping the bleeding would be more important, obviously if you can keep it clean then you should, but what if you don't have gloves or salt water or whatever?" She asked.

"Just don't infect it." He gave her slight side-eye, if she ever got injured then she was going to kill herself with poor medicare more than the actual injury.

"Most first aid kits will also have tweezers to remove any foreign objects from open wounds..."

The session took about an hour in total with Gabriel teaching (Y/n) the very basics and mostly just identifying the contents within a first aid kit and what each could be used for.

(Y/n) had left and Gabriel was left to pack up though she had offered to help.

His head was stuck on her as he wondered what she was up to and more specifically if she was safe. He had no reason to believe that she had run into any danger aside from his instinctive paranoia but the reason it was showing up was somewhat surprising.

Love in this world was obviously not the same as love used to be, the smallest hints of romantic attraction were blown up by your infection to the point of adoration. People fell fast and didn't get up again at any point.

Gabriel's heart was simply crying in (Y/n)'s absence, protective aptitude was combined with romantic desire. His mind strayed to the way that softness had blossomed into her kind (e/c) eyes at the notion of him getting hurt, he needed to protect that compassion that was becoming all too rare for people to hold for more than just their partner.

He nervously picked at a band aid on his arm to try and ease the stress. She said she was going back to her dorm room, there wasn't even a set of steps dividing them and she was just down the hall. He reminded himself that even though she was without him she was in what was arguably the safest place in the school.

As Gabriel continued to tamper with the band aid it slowly began to lose its sticky quality. He sighed out and pulled the band aid away, old blood had collected on the inside anyway and he needed to change it soon.

Conveniently, the first aid kit was still just out on his desk so he took a new band aid from there. He narrowed pink eyes at the wound on his arm, ugly pinkish flesh with hints of dry blood adorned his comparatively tanned skin against the dehydrated dead skin that surrounded it.

'I need to do better.' He thought to himself as he covered it up. 'How can I protect (Y/n) if I can't even protect myself?'