- 3 -

Jade had awoken before Nathan, but chose to remain in bed and relax. Head resting on her arms crossed, she watched the young man beside her sleep peacefully. His curls were messier than usual, and Jade reached out to run her fingers through them to try and tame them.

His eyes slightly opened to reveal a pair of soft green eyes as he gazed at her. "Stop staring while I'm sleeping, you creep." He said, his voice raspy.

"Then stop being cute." She winked, and he chuckled.

"Cute? I'm bloody gorgeous." He smirked as he stretched.

Jade playfully slapped his arm as she rolled her eyes. She looked back at him and he smiled, not one of his usual smirks, a genuine smile. His green eyes were soft as he gazed at her in silence.

Her cheeks reddened under the intensity of his stare, and she timidly smiled back.

Before Nathan could tease her they heard his mother climbing the stairs as she called her son's name.

"Shit!" Nathan sat up swiftly and looked around in panic. "Quick! Hide!"

"Where?" Jade's eyes darted around as she searched for a place to hide. They could hear her footsteps getting closer.

Suddenly Nathan pushed Jade off, and she fell on the opposite side of the bed as his mother opened the door.

"Nathan, I need to talk to you." Her mother said with a sigh as she sat down on the bed next to him.

"Huh... Can we maybe do this another time?" He asked as he scratched his head in embarrassment.

"No we can't." She firmly answered, and Nathan sighed.

Meanwhile Jade was trying her best to crawl as silently as she could to hide under the bed. She cringed when her hand found a lot of dust.

"Listen, you have to do something with your life. You're smart and you have your whole life ahead of you, I don't want you to just... Do nothing."

Nathan bit his lip in embarrassment, knowing Jade was underneath them listening to every single thing her mother was saying.

"I was planning to be a trophy husband, ya know?" He said with a smirk as he leaned back. "The arm candy of an old rich hag that's going to mysteriously die of-"

"I'm being serious here, Nathan Young."

Jade had to put a hand over her mouth to stop herself from laughing at his antics.

"I'd really like for you to go to university and get a degree, I know we don't have a lot of money but we could get a loan."

"Nah, I'm good. I'd rather work."

Her mother sighed as she put a hand over his.

"I know things has been difficult since your dad left-"

"Mom." He tried to stop her, his eyes wide as he looked at the bed, knowing Jade was right underneath them.

"And you've been fired from so many jobs because you can't keep your mouth shut. Put some effort into it please, at least do it for me."

Nathan let his head fall forward in defeat. "I'll try."

"That's my boy."

Jade smiled, touched by the discussion. Nathan's mother seemed to really love her son, no matter how much he drove her crazy.
She stopped listening when she felt something tickling her feet.

She looked down and her blood froze when she saw a spider on her feet crawling up her leg.

"I'll try to find a job and I'll stick to it, I promise."