- 43 -

The rain was pouring hard for their last week of community work, and it caught them off guard as they left a warehouse where another person with powers had dragged them.

"I'm getting real tired of the murder attempts." Jade said with a frown, and Nathan shrugged with a carefree smile.

"At least that fella didn't really want to kill us." He exlained as he watched the rain pour. "His powers turned him nuts."

"He killed the poor bloke that was watching over us." Jade frowned.

"T'was his fault, he jumped in to protect Alisha like a twat."

Jade smirked. "Didn't you do the exact same thing to protect me?"

He scoffed, and she pinched his cheek affectionately. "My twat."

Alisha left the warehouse as she wiped her tears away, a devastated look on her face that she tried to conceal by avoiding their gaze.

"Alisha?" Jade asked in concern. "What's wrong?"

Alisha quickly slid the folded paper in her back pocket and she sniffled. "It's fine."

"No it's not." She frowned. "Come on, tell me."

The curly haired girl wiped the tears under her eyes. "You're lucky, you know? That the guy you love cannot die."

She left after her cryptic response, and Jade let out a sigh as she watched her walk away.

"What the hell is she talking about?" Jade frowned. "I'll have to show up at her place later and maker her spill the beans."

Suddenly she let out a screech as Nathan picked her up without any warning and ran. She felt the rain hit her skin, and she  laughed loudly as he spun with her in his arms.

"What the hell are you doing?" She giggled. "You lunatic."

"Making you wet." He wiggled his brows, and she snorted.

She was drenched, her clothes were sticking to her cold skin and her hair was dripping, yet she couldn't bring herself to be mad at Nathan. He was grinning widely like a kid as he held her close.

She lowered her head to kiss him, and he reciprocated with eagerness. Her heart fluttered, a habit it took every time Nathan kissed her.

Suddenly her phone rang, cutting short the moment, and Nathan put her down as he quirked a brow as a silent inquiry.

Jade looked at the screen in surprise. "It's  my brother."

She answered the call and put her phone against her ear. "Hey, Connie. What's up?"

"Hey Jade... "

She frowned when she heard the tremor in his voice. "Something's wrong?"

"I have something to tell you. It's not easy..."

Jade looked at Nathan with wide eyes, and he looked a bit concerned as his green eyes never left her.

"What's going on? Just tell me?"

"It's mum... " He took a deep breath."She swallowed a bunch of pills this morning, I found her unconscious in the bathroom..."

Jade felt her knees buckle from underneath her in shock. Nathan grabbed her instantly and he lowered her to the ground with him. Her breathing was laboured and her eyes filled with tears.