- 20 -

"Fuck." Jade whispered, her eyes wide in shock and her lips puffy and red.

Nathan cleared his throat to get a hold of himself. "That shouldn't have happened."

Jade nodded frantically as her eyes darted around as if to check if anyone had caught them kissing.

Nathan hoped this had been just a fleeting moment of weakness for him. He was just confused because Jade was supposed to die in a week, that's all. He kissed her because he was confused.

"It was a mistake." Jade said, and Nathan noticed how worried and scared she looked.

"Exactly." Nathan nodded.

"I could've kissed anyone at this moment."

"Me too, and I would've rather kissed Barry to be honest."

Jade huffed as she pushed past him, bumping his shoulder with hers in the process. "Whatever, you're a bad kisser." She sneered over her shoulder.

He smirkes. "Look who's talking, virgin."

Jade scoffed as she opened the door of the roof and went inside, Nathan following closely behind.

He studied her as she walked in front of him, and he was curious as to why she was so shaken up over the kiss. She kept looking around as she chewed on her lower lip, her hands were clenching in nervosity.

"You okay?" He asked, and she gave a dismissive shrug.

"Yeah."

"You don't seem good." He narrowed his eyes at her, and she whirled around.

"Jesus, Nathan!" She snapped, her eyes wide in fear. "Leave it. We shouldn't have kissed, and we shouldn't be talking right now."

"Why not?" He raised an eyebrow in suspicion.

"Because." She answered in a clipped tone as her eyes avoided his. "I don't want anything to do with you anymore."

Nathan scoffed with a wicked smile. She was a very bad liar. "Funny, I'd have sworn you were telling me you wanted to kiss me just a few minutes ago."

"I-I'd never do that!" She sputtered.

"What are you hiding from me, candyfloss?" Nathan asked with barely hidden concern, his eyes soft as they searched for hers.

Her suddenly constantly pushing him away for no real reason, almost running away from him. The nervous looks she kept throwing at her phone when she thought no one was looking and the texts she kept sending in secret seemed very strange to him, especially knowing she was in imminent danger.

She rolled her eyes in annoyance as she walked away from him, and he crossed the few feet between them with ease. "There's something going on." He pressed. "Are you in trouble?"

"Nothing's going on." She answered too quickly, and he stared at the back of her head.

"I don't believe you."

"I don't give a damn."

They arrived in the main hall, and Nathan loudly groaned in exasperation when he noticed Colin standing in the middle of the room.

Colin's eyes snapped towards Jade and he smiled widely, but it didn't reach his eyes. "Hey Jade!"

"Hello." Jade tried to fake a smile, but it miserably failed.

Colin's eyes softened as he gazed at her, and when they slid towards Nathan they suddenly darkened. He clenched his hands in tight fists as he all but glared daggers at him. "Nathan." He greeted him curtly.