- 26 -

Everything felt like a movie Jade was watching. She felt like a spectator as she stood in the graveyard between Alisha and Kelly, who kept throwing her worried looks.

What concerned the group was how unaffected Jade seemed. She was casually standing in a black dress with her hands in the pockets of her jacket, her eyes staring at the open casket as if she had trouble believing Nathan was inside. Her lips were set in a straight line and she looked awfully bored.

It seemed like a play to her, nothing seemed real. Nathan didn't look like he was dead, just sleeping like the many times she had seen him do in her bed.

The only clue that everything was real was the dreadful silence in her flat at night.

"You're sleeping at mine tonight." Kelly told her in a low voice.

Jade's blue eyes snapped to her, and she excitedly smiled. "Ooh, I've never been to a sleepover!"

"You say this like we're ten." Kelly rolled her eyes, and Jade pouted.

"I was going to bring popcorn and ice cream, but whatever..." Jade trailed off with pretend disappointment.

"It's a sleepover."

Jade chuckled while Kelly had to conceal a small smile.

"Why aren't you sad?" Alisha asked in confusion.

Jade threw her a confused look.

"You saw him die. We're at his funeral."

"Alisha." Curtis whispered in a warning tone.

"I... I.." Jade furrowed her brows. "I don't know."

She raised an eyebrow."You're in denial or something?"

Curtis grabbed her arm, and Alisha's head snapped to Curtis as she threw him an annoyed look.

"Leave her be." He whispered.

"Don't you see?" Alisha hissed. "She's acting real weird. I've seen my aunt act the same way when my uncle died, a week later she drove her car into a tree and she broke her hip. Drunk driving. She's lucky to be still alive."

Curtis gave Jade a long look. "You think she's going to blow up or something?"

"I dunno." Alisha said. "But whatever is going on with her, it's not good."

They watched in surprise Louise, Nathan's mother, go up to them. Her eyes were red and sunken with big bags under them.

"Hi Jade." The corner of her mouth curved up in a small smile.

"Miss Young." Jade said with her head tilted in a silent inquiry.

"Are... Are you free tomorrow?" She asked.

Jade nodded.

"Would you like to come over for tea?"

She smiled softly. "I'd love to."

Once the funeral was finally over and the participants were slowly leaving. The ASBOs gathered around the open casket, Jade watched Kelly slip her ipod in Nathan's pocket, a sad look in her blue eyes.

She looked at his face, and she wanted nothing more than for him to open his eyelids to reveal his beautiful green eyes.

She frowned when she looked at the MP3 player. She had nothing to give to him.

"Jade." She heard a soft voice, followed by a light tap on her shoulder.

Simon was leaning towards her, his pale blue eyes warm as he was gazing at her.