-thirty-eight-

Colby PoV

"Why do there have to be so many?!" I asked, stressed.

"Um, because it's a jewelry store, and they're supposed to have lots of engagement ring options?" Said Tara.

She, Kat, and Sam were helping me pick out an engagement ring for Kate, while Devyn, Xepher, and Cassie to Kate on a girls' day.

Sam put his hand on my shoulder.

"Dude. Breathe. You'll find the perfect one for Kate, and we're all here to help you."

I nodded, taking a deep breathe.

"You're right. I'm just a little nervous," I said.

"Well, let's go to looking. We only have a few hours before Devyn, Cassie, and Xepher bring her back to the house," said Kat.

·················

We had an our left, and we were in the last jewelry store around.

I prayed to god we found a ring here.

Kat and Tara were looking together on one side of the store, while Sam and I were looking on the other.

I smiled. "I'm still surprised at your dad's reaction. He didn't even hesitate to give the 'okay' when I asked him if I could marry Kate."

Sam laughed. "Bro, honestly though? He's pretty been rooting for you and Kate since the day you two met. And that he and Mom both want some grandkids desperately."

"Tell that to Allison, she's the oldest," I said.

That was the end of that short conversation, and Sam and I continued to look for rings.

Eventually, one caught my eye.

"Yo, Sam. Look at this one," I said.

The ring had a large teardrop diamond, surrounded by smaller ones, along with some along the band itself.

Kat and Tara came over after they noticed that something had caught Sam and I's eyes.

"Which one are you looking at?" Asked Kat.

I pointed to it

"Holy shit. That's beautiful," said Tara.

One of the workers noticed that we were all looking at the ring and came over.

"Which one wouled you like to see?" She asked.

I pointed to it, and she gently opened the sliding glass on her side and lifted the ring off its holder.

"Here you go," she said, placing it in my hand.

The ring was so different, completely unique, yet it wae simple and elegant.

"Dude. Is that it?" Asked Sam.

I nodded. "This is the one. She's gonna love it."

I handed the ring back to the worker, then told her the size I needed as she put it back in its place.

"Alright. I need to go get it out of storage, I'll be back in a minute or two," she said, smiling at me.

"Colby, she's absolutely going to love it, you know that right?" Said Tara.

"I know." I couldn't stop myself from smiling so much. I couldn't believe I was going to propose to Kate in a few hours.

The employee walked out of the store room, the ring in a protective shipping box.

"Alright, I'll ring you up over here," she said, gesturing to one of the registers.

"What color box would you like it in? We have red, black, and white," asked the woman.

"Black, please," I said.

As she wrapped it up, Tara and Kat were practically jumping behind me, while Sam's smile was from ear to ear.

I hand my card over, and then woman quickly swipped it and hand it back, along with the small bag the ring was in, as well as the receipt.

"Alright. We gotta get you back home before Kate gets there," said Sam as we all left the store.

But as we got in my car, a horrible thought hit me.

What if Kate says no?