-forty-

We walked a couple blocks, and soon enough I saw the ocean, and it seemed we were heading in that direction.

"The beach?" I asked, smiling.

Colby smiled back. "Yes, but this one's different."

"How?" I replied, my fingers still laced with his.

"You'll see."

We continued the rest of out walk in silence, just listening to the sounds around us.

We got to the beach, my eyes widened.

This section was very secluded, and there was only one other person there.
Remnants of old, concrete structures were everywhere, implying that there had once been buildong here.

However, nearly every surrface of the concrete was covered in mural-like graffiti.

It was amazing. Every detail about this small section of beach was beautiful.

I quickly took off my socks and shoes, then rolled my jeans up before walking to the water.

The Pacific wasn't a warm ocean, but the way the sun was setting on the water definitely helped warm it up a little.

The water came up to my shins, and I just stood there, feeling the water and soaking up the sun.

I turned around and gestured to Colby, who smiled and rolled his eyes as he took his socks and shoes off.

He walked over to me, the water hitting him lower since he was taller.

Colby wrapped an arm around my waist, pulling me closer, and I leaned my head against his chest.

We stood there like that for minutes, although it seemed as though time jad slowed down for us, watching the sunset and listening to the waves.

At one point Colby let go of my waist and walked away, and I assumed he was going to put his shoes back on.

I smiled. This had been one of the best dates I had ever been on.

When I turned back around, Colby was standing there, smiling. I glanced down to see if he had put his shoes back on, but he hadn't.

He grabbed both of my hands with his, gently squeezing them.

"Kate, I've known you since high school,  and we've been dating for almost five years now. You've honestly become my best friend, even more so than Sam."

He paused, taking a shaky breath.

"You're the last thing I think about before I fall asleep, and the first thing I think about when I wake up. I think about you all the time because I love you."

I was about to say something, but I realised that he had more to say.

"I love the way you care for your friends and family, always putting them before yourself. I love the way you always find a way to see the bright side of things. I love the way the sun hits your sleeping figure in the morning. I love every inch of your beautiful body. I love that when I think my heart us full of all your love, you find a way to put a little more in. I love you, Kate, and I don't ever want to stop. I want to love you for the rest of our lives, together."

He took another shaky breath, and I rubbed circles on the back of his hands with my thumbs, reassuring him.

"Kate, I- I guess what I'm trying to say is," Colby said, getting down on one knee.

"Katelyn Golbach, will you marry me?"

·····················

This Concludes Orphaned.

I hope you enjoyed it.

Don't worry though-

Not all stories end😉

                -bramble