Chapter 6

Clay

I got called in to the guidance office after class. The guidance councelor was on the phone, talking to someone else. I was sitting on the chair in front of her desk, awkward and nervous.

The phone call eventually ended. She sat on her table and looked at me. The last time I was here was when I talked to Mr. Porter about Hannah Baker. Guidance office used to be a safe space for students to talk about their problems, but not this one.

"Clay," The guidance councelor, Dr. Priya, said. "How was your day?"

"Fine," I swallowed my nervousness. "Can we get to the point. Why am I here? Did I do something wrong?"

Dr. Priya looked into her notes. "I believe you are failing some of your subjects," She sighed. "Four to be exact."

Lately, helping Justin recover became my first priority. I wanted to keep helping him. Focusing on Justin and making sure he was healthy in all ways possible was all that I wanted. but I didnt know that supporting him would cause me to flunk a few subjects. I was failing some of my subjects, and it was my last year on high school, the year where I should be getting high grades to back up my college entrance exam.

"How are you holding up with everything thats happening right now?" Dr. Priya asked.

"What do you mean?" My eyebrows said it all. I was confused with her question.

"Do you think the stress from your home is causing all of this?"

"No." I answered quickly. To be fair, our house was the least stressful place right now.

"How about Justin Foley?" She looked at me, waiting for me to spill something.

"What about Justin Foley?." I answered, my tone was a little sharp. What about Justin Foley huh?

"Ive already talked to Justin," She continued. "He said that you have been very supportive of his recovery, you even go with him on his support group."

"And what about it?" I didnt like where she was going with the conversation.

"Clay," She leaned carefully on her chair. "Im not going to tell you to stop helping Justin because I think you are doing an amazing job. But you should be focusing on your grades right now."

I stayed silent. I couldnt believe what I was hearing. How dare this woman accuse Justin of being the reason why I was failing my classes.

"Its your senior year," She continued. "You need your grades to get accepted at college and I know you care about your friend but I think you should care about your future first."

"Brother, Justin is my brother," My voice was intense. I could feel Dr. Priya tensing up a litte, but this was her job. "And he isnt doing anything wrong."

"He isnt," Dr. Priya smiled at me, like she was talking to child. "But you are letting him distract you. Ive seen your grades from last year and they were pretty impressive."

"Im not," I countered. I could feel the veins on my head were about to pop. "Im not letting him distract me."

"You need think about your future okay? Here," Dr. Priya handed me a phamplet. The title was Failing grades, Failing future. "Clay, you have a bright future ahead of you. You need to stop letting other people people drag you down."

"Justin isnt dragging me down." I stood up. Slammed the phamplet on her table.

"Clay thats not what I-" I didnt let her finish. I went out of the guidance office, shutting the door behind me a little too hard. How dare she? Justin was the sole reason why I was still here, thriving in this shitty place. How dare she accuse Justin of dragging me down when Justin had been the person on top of the hill all the time, pulling me up with him. She was no better than Mr. Porter, they were all the same, always putting the blame on the people who couldnt stand up for themselves.

Justin was waiting for me at my locker. His contagious smile disappeared when I approached him, he saw my pissed off expression.

"Hey whats wrong?" He asked worriedly.

"Nothing." I lied but Justin knew I wasnt telling him the truth.

"No shit, Clay." Justin grabbed my backpack, carrying it for me. We were talking to my car. "Tell me whats wrong."

I was more upset by the fact that the guidance councelor thought Justin was dragging me down more than the news that I was failing four subjects. Is Justin dragging me down? No. Never. Not in this lifetime.

"Hello," Justin waved his hands in front of my face. We finally reached my car. "Earth to Clay? Hello?"

"What?"

"Tell me whats wrong." He looked agitated. We went inside the car, I started the engine and finally told Justin the reason behind my annoyance.

"Im failing my classes," I admitted, feeling a little ashamed about it. "Four subjects."

I didnt tell Justin about my conversation with the guidance councelor. Ive been living with Justin for months now, I knew he would feel bad and blame himself for distracting me.

"Dont worry though," I assured Justin when I couldnt even assure myself. "I got this."

"Is it because of me?" I could feel the fear in Justin's voice.

"No." I let our a half supressed laugh.

"Good," Justin breathed out. "I'll help you Clay. I know I might not be the sharpest tool in the shed but I will help you."

Justin might not be the sharpest tool in the shed but he was definitely sharper than me. I was right, Justin was not dragging me down. He shed me his light eventhough he himself needed help.

I held Justin's hand as we drive home. It wasnt weird or uncomfortable. It felt right and risky at the same time. Justin didnt push me back, he held my hands back, tighter than I was holding him.

-

Hi! Hope you are enjoying this story.

Quick question, who's the top and the bottom between Clay and Justin?

I think Clay is the obvious bottom but Justin gives the biggest bottom energy whenever hes around Clay.

Also Im so sorry, I accidentally uploaded this chapter on my other book. I need sleep, Jesus Christ.

- G