|23|

AG POV

I could hear my Abuela's voice but I see blackness and I know my eyes are closed. I want to open them but it hurts to even move. What even happened? Where was I?

I heard too many voices now, along with a beeping noise like an alarm. Wake up, AG. I force my eyes open but instantly regret it when a bright light invades my sight.

There's pain everywhere in my body and I feel slight talking around me. I let my eyes open slowly adjusting to the light around me. My eyes examine where I'm at and I soon recognize I'm in a hospital.

A older woman I've never seen before makes eye contact with me and smile. "Hello, I'm Doctor Reyez, do you know where you are?" This woman asked me.

I nod but wince right after catching the attention of my family members in the hospital room. "Oh mija, you're up." Abuela comes to my side. I see my uncle I haven't seen in years, my many cousins, my mom, my aunt.

"She woke up a few days earlier than we expected, her heart rate is normal, her brain waves seem normal but we will conduct a MRI scan, we'll be sending in one of our psychiatrists in and we'll get her into the withdrawal process immediately." The doctor says before leaving the room.

"Mija, what were you thinking?"

"Hm?" I ask. "The drugs mi Amor, they said you had an overdose, how did you get ahold of those?" Abuela asks.

"Jason." I admit. I literally can't lie anymore. "Jason?" Mom butts in. I nod but curse when I feel the same pain. "He gave them to you?"

"Yes." I mumble. "When?"

"A few months ago." I breathe out. "So you're an addict." Abuela confirms. "I'm sorry." I say. "Why didn't you tell anyone?" She asks.

"He said he would kick me off of the team." I tell her. "God, Vanessa, you have to tell the police." Abuela says.

"That's what I'm gonna do right now, he's gonna pay. Anna baby, I'll be right back, Javier, come with me." Mom said to her younger brother and my cousins followed them out to leaving me and my grandmother.

"Mija I know you and I know you wouldn't take something like drugs so easily." Abuela says. "He said I would be kicked off of team."

"I know, I know. I'm sorry that you had to go through all of that alone, I know it must be hard especially after the Billie situation."

"You heard." I tell her. "Yes and I'm not proud. Not at all, this is what we were all afraid of. We didn't want you to become like your father. He was abusive to Vanessa."

"Mama told me after I admitted to hitting Billie." I sniffle. "That's a good start mija, realizing that you're wrong. We're going to help you get through, lo prometo. (I promise.)" Abuela says.

"Lo siento mucho. (I'm so sorry.)"

"Está bien, te amo. (It's okay, I love you.)"

The door opens with a slightly older woman and she waves, "Hi, I'm Lisa Benton, I'm the psychiatrist here to speak with Ms. McDaniel." The woman introduces herself.

"Hello, I was just heading out, take all the time you need." Abuela says before kissing my cheek and leaving the room.

"Hi Annagrace, do you mind if I call you that?" Lisa asks. "Friends just call me AG." I say. "Okay AG, I heard about what happened with the drug overdose and abuse and I wanted to ask a few questions."

"Go ahead." I allow her and she takes a seat. "What was your relationship with your parents like?"

"Excuse me? What does my family life have to do with anything with this?"