|33|

Omniscient

AG sat in the uncomfortable plastic chair, her foot tapping on the dirty marble floor at an urgent and rapid pace.

She was in visible distress, biting her fingernails, and sliding down in the plastic chair, getting up when AG's mother, Vanessa rushed into the hospital. "Oh my God, what happened?" Vanessa walked over to Billie in a hurry.

"There was a truck," She answered. "It came right into us- I really don't fucking remember."

"Where- where's Billie?"

"I don't know! They're not telling me anything." AG shouted. "Wha- were you high? Were you on something?"

AG looked at her mother in disbelief, "Really Mom? That's the question you're gonna ask me? If I was high? No, I wasn't." AG scoffed. "I'm sorry, how the hell did this happened?"

AG huffed, beginning to pace back and forth, the sound of beeping and the voices of the doctors bothering her every second. "My God- I have to call Maggie, just sit down."

AG didn't sit down and ran her fingers through her hair, only to be excused by the doctor handling Billie. "Are you the girlfriend?"

"Yeah, is she okay?"

The doctor sighed, "I'm sorry, but we lost her."

"What do you mean lost her? She ran away or something?" AG dumbly asked.

"The driver who struck your car was extremely drunk, four times than the legal drinking amount. Billie suffered numerous injuries including a head injury, she lost a lot of blood and stopped breathing in which we intubated her immediately, and made a diagnosis indicating she needed surgery, on the way up to surgery, her heart gave out twice, we were able to save her, but the third time, the strain on her heart was just too much and we weren't able to resuscitate her."

AG just stared at the doctor before running her tongue over her bottom lip, "She's dead? That's what you're trying to tell me?" AG asked the middle-aged woman.

"I'm so, so sorry for your loss." At that moment, the world just collapsed from under her, everything just went dark, everything just stopped, confused was the word to describe what AG was feeling.

She shook her head, backing away from the woman, at the same time, Billie's parents and her brother rushing into the hospital, already here because they were staying at a Kentucky hotel.

"Where is she?" A hysterical Maggie asked the doctor as AG stumbled out of the hospital bumping into Vanessa. "Baby, what's wrong?" Her mother asked, not knowing yet about Billie. "She- Mom, she's dead."

Vanessa immediately pulled her daughter into a hug, tears running down her face as she held her numbed daughter in her arms. AG's eyes traveled to the hospital, getting a clear view of Maggie dropping to the ground.

AG felt her tears slowly drop down her cheeks trying to get rid of the one thought in her head, she needed to get high.

___

AG walks into the quiet hospital room, her eyes red and puffy from the crying. Her eyes roaming Billie's face which was covered in cuts and scrapes, AG stepped back thinking she was too close.

AG wiped the tears running down her cheek and sat beside her, grabbing her pale hand. "It's all my fault." AG mustered out.

"I should've just said no to you going to Taco Bell- well you would've ignored me for the rest of the week." She laughed.

"You can't be dead." AG shook her head. "You just can't be. I was just talking to you, we were fine. This is so stupid."

AG sniffled, looking down at Billie's small hand in her own, grazed her hand with her thumb. "I thought about getting high again today. I didn't go through with it, but I thought about it."

"How am I supposed to sleep tonight?" AG asked, almost asking for Billie to respond in any way. "Please wake up." AG's voice cracked. "Anna?" Vanessa peered in the room. "Hm?"

Vanessa walked over to AG's side, placing her hand on her shoulder. "Bri died cause of a drunk driver." AG told her mother.

"I know who the driver was." Vanessa told her. "I don't care about that right now."

"It was your dad."

"I'm sorry, what?" AG looked at her mom when she said that. "I saw him back when we were in Philly, he's been following us and didn't make a move until a day before your game, he was desperate to meet you, but I didn't let him."

"You mean to tell me the dad that you ran away from did this to her?" AG asked as if it made sense to her.

"Your dad had a problem. A mental problem, an obsession is what his family would call it. Once he set his eye on something, that was it and he was violent most of the time."

"I- I don't- I'm not getting it." AG shook her head. She was being told that her deadbeat father was responsible for her girlfriend's death. "I know this is all confusing, but what I think is he followed us back here and was able to find you two."

"So he knew what exact street we'd be at? That we'd be going out at 3:30 in the morning?"

"I don't know about all of that, but I do know he was drunk when he struck you guys."

"My dad? He's the reason for this, he killed B-" AG paused what she was saying still not being able to accept that this was really happening. "I'm so sorry."

AG shook her head looking down at her lap. She was angry, at everything, at her mother, her father, the doctors, the hospital, at everyone. "An-"

"Mom, I need to be alone right now." Vanessa nodded and left the hospital room leaving AG to be in her own negative thoughts, so consumed by them.

After a while, AG got up and left the hospital room where her mother was waiting and the two entered the car with her, driving back home not saying a word.

She just didn't get it, she was just driving a laughing Billie back home, they had talked about moving in together, everything was fine, they were fine, why did it have to end like this?

Was this the karma that AG was talking about? She got out of the car and walked into her bedroom, it was 7 in the morning. She sniffled and sat down on her bed, lying down, her phone ringing right after, but she didn't pick it up.

The phone rang again, AG still didn't pick up, when it rang a third time, she picked it up not paying attention to the caller ID. "Hello?" AG sighed.

"Give me one good damn reason why people think I'm dead."

Happy Monday, I don't know if any of you are eligible to vote, but if you are, please vote.