chapter 13

When Keefe awoke the next morning, his torso hurt like hell. 

Grunting softly, he stood up. 

"Ugh. What's the point of going on a quest if everyone's going to be asleep all day." Keefe grumbled upon seeing everybody else still sleeping. 

He decided to take a short walk outside. The plants and animals in an ogre forests were like nothing Keefe had ever seen. 

There were birds with horns, snakes with forked bodies (yeah bodies, nearly gave them all a heart attack when they first saw them), there were even octopus in the trees. One had nearly fell on top of Fitz once. 

On his walk, Keefe saw little rabbits. Just normal rabbits, there were also lots of flowers, pink and white and blue. They had picked a beautiful meadow to sleep in for the night. 

Keefe sat down, picked a few flowers and began to weave them. (What? He knew how to do more things than draw) 

He folded the stems of the flowers over each other absentmindedly, he ended up making a flower crown out of habit. 

------------------

~flashback~

A young Keefe sat in Candleshade's large lawn, making a crown from flowers like his mom had shown him. 

The crown looked pretty damn good if he did say so himself. 

Keefe grinned lopsidedly, as he finished off the crown. 

Suddenly a bright light appeared in the front lawn. It was Lady Gisela, she was home. 

Keefe gasped in delight, jumping up and running up to his mother. "Mommy! Mommy!" 

As Lady Gisela spotted her young son, she smiled. "Hello, Keefe. What have you been up to?" She reached down to pick up her son. 

Keefe giggled, Lady Gisela held him on her hip. "I made you something." He handed her the flower crown he had spent all afternoon making. 

She frowned at it as if by making her a gift, he had somehow disappointed her. "Oh Keefe, is that what you've been doing with your time?" She frowned. "The layering is completely wrong and some of these flowers are dying." 

Upon seeing Keefe's crestfallen look, she booped him on the nose. "Ah, well, no need to feel sad about it. Come, we will fix it together." 

She put her son back down, he immediately raced off to find the patch of flowers with the prettiest ones. 

Lady Gisela followed her laughing son until he found the prettiest patch of flowers. 

"Mommy! I found them!" He called to her excitedly. 

Lady Gisela chuckled softly. Sitting down, her large dress fanned out around her. 

She picked a few flowers and laid them down gently on her dress. "Do you see these, Keefe?" She pointed to the flowers on her dress. 

He nodded his head enthusiastically. 

Lady Gisela picked two up and started to weave them. "Do you see how they fold together?" 

"Yes?" Keefe was starting to get confused. 

"This is like a plan. It has to be executed correctly, one false move, and the whole chain could fall apart." She emphasized her point by ripping the chain apart. 

"I don't understand." Keefe told his mother. 

She smiled at him and ruffled his hair slightly, "You will, one day." She told him.