chapter 45

Sophie's eyes watched the bright sun that shone in through the windows, hit the crystal walls and reflected in beautiful colors across their Great Room.

Only to freeze when she saw, in the entirety of his ruckleberry glory, Mr. Forkle in her living room, and from the looks of it, not here for a friendly check in.

"Miss Foster," Forkle began. Grady and Edaline glanced at each other warily. "We have to talk."

Sophie and all her friends were on edge the entire time as they entered the perimeter of Alluveterre. Their wary eyes never stayed on anything for too long, and were darting from place to place for anything suspicious.

Though their wary looks were not enough to deter Keefe from making jokes.

"So what's the deal with this whole secret agent thing that the Fork-man needs us at?" Keefe shot Sophie a smile, paying no attention to their friends around them. "Cuz I think, and let me know if you agree, code names! We. Need. Code names."

"We do not need code names." Sophie deadpanned.

"Come on, Foster! You could be 'Mazing Moonlark!" He offered. (a/n SORRY HVNCSNSKJ ITS MY LACK OF CREATIVITY)

Sophie huffed a laugh, "That's awful."

"I'd like to see you come up with one of these." He crossed his arms across his chest. "What about Fearless Foster?"

"No." Sophie groaned, pushing him away. "Stop, my ears."

"Come on, how can you not be sold on the nickname idea after Fearless Foster? It's perfect." He turned and nudged Biana with his elbow. "Isn't it perfect?"

"I agree with Soph, sorry Keefe." She shrugged.

Tam looked around, "Hey, when did Forkle say he would get here?"

Sophie shrugged. "He just told me to come and to bring you guys."

"As the vague instructions continue." Dex sighed.

"I dunno," Linh said softly. "I like to think they're getting better."

More than one person snorted.

When they entered the common room of the connecting tree houses that they had lived in, a girl with a head of blonde hair welcomed them.

"So this is where you guys lived when you ran off to the Black Swan, huh?" Marella's eyes swept the room again. "Not too bad. I can see why you guys were gone for so long."

"The housing had nothing to do with it."

"Keep telling yourself that." She looked around again, lingering on the waterfall that Linh had added. "Did you guys decorate this place or did they do it?"

"Actually," Forkle's voice came from the doorway. "I did."

"You sure took your sweet time getting here." Dex said.

"I apologize," he replied smoothly, wringing his hands together in front of him. "I was finalizing a few things with Lur and Mitya. But I am here now. Please, sit, make yourselves at home."