chapter 34

"You really don't have to do this."

Sophie rolled her eyes, that was the fifteenth time someone had told her that. "I know."

There was no immediate need for Sophie to get her memories back, so they decided to wait for the next day, when she was more rested.

"I believe it would be wise for Mr. Sencen to watch over you, to keep track of your emotions." Mr. Forkle told her.

Sophie thought for a moment before shaking her head. "We don't need Keefe to be here. I'll be fine."

"Are you sure?"

Sophie nodded silently, hanging her head so her hair would fall in front of her face like a curtain.

"Would you be more comfortable if I weren't here for it? It's not like I can do anything to help." He said the last bit bitterly.

"I think I want to do it alone." Sophie said quietly, refusing to look up.

After many assurances that Sophie would be fine (only from Sophie, her family didn't provide much help in that department), she finally got Dex and his mother to go home.

Edaline was outside with Grady, filling him in and keeping him away while Sophie had a talk with Forkle.

"I'm truly sorry, Miss Foster."

"What do you have to be sorry for?"

He smiled sadly at her before bowing his head slightly. "I will leave you now. I hope you will at least try to get some rest."

"I'll try." She promised.

"Good luck, Miss Foster. We are all here for you when you're ready."

"Thanks."

Then, he surprised her by giving her a hug. "I once told you that you were my greatest achievement." He whispered to her. "And that hasn't changed. I'm still so proud of you, and that will never change."

When he pulled away from her, he wiped a few tears from his eyes and cleared his throat.

Sophie wasn't too much better, clearing her throat and blinking back tears.

"I will be back soon, Miss Foster."

"Bye." Sophie said, back to wringing her hands together in her lap.

He nodded. "Goodbye, Miss Foster."

He took a clear crystal out of his cape pocket and leaped away, leaving Sophie alone.

Sophie continued to stare at her hands, Forkle's words still ringing around in her head.

I'm still so proud of you, and that will never change.

But . . . Sophie felt like it really would.

When would Project Moonlark be deemed . . . a fail?

Because, with the way Sophie's life had been going, it wasn't a question of if anymore. It was a question of when.

After a few moments, she heard a knock at the door.

"Come in." Sophie called weakly.

They opened the door and Sophie continued to look down at her hands, but she could still feel their eyes boring into her.

"I know you guys want to tell me something." Sophie sighed, her hands were starting to turn white.

Her bed shifted beneath  her, she didn't acknowledge her parents until Grady pulled apart her hands to keep her from wringing them any tighter.