chapter 22

A/N read chapter 21 before this if you haven't yet :))

----------------------

"Sophie?!" She heard Flori call desperately from behind the door.

Breathing became harder, her eyes slowly opened at times, but she was way too disoriented to make sense of anything.

"Sophie, answer me please!"

It took a long time for Sophie to make sense of what Flori had said, her mind too far gone to think properly. Her mind spun but her head didn't hurt as much anymore.

No matter what Sophie did, she couldn't find the strength to call to Flori.

She closed her eyes in hopes of stopping her rising nausea. She let the darkness reclaim her.

A loud boom! Filled the room.

"Oh my god! Sophie!" Someone cried. After a few moments whoever was in there with her whispered, "I'm sorry, Sophie, please don't be mad at me." She felt herself being lifted out of the bathtub gently. A towel was wrapped around her body and her hair, her head lolled to the side, she was placed on something soft.

"Get Edaline and Grady!" Sophie heard some shuffling. It felt as if she was drowning, she couldn't tell which way was up or down, and the world spun in front of her eyes.

She faded out of conscientiousness. When she came to, more voices were there.

"So, you really can't tell what's wrong with her?" Someone asked, they sounded close to tears.

"No." They sighed, "As far as I can tell, there is nothing wrong with her. I don't understand what happened."

The bed shifted beneath her. She tentatively opened her eyes.

A pair of worried blue eyes stared back at her. "Dad?" She was surprised at how tired she felt after the single word.

She was wrapped in a bone crushing hug.

"Are you okay?"

She licked her dry lips, "I'm okay."

"Here, drink this." Elwin, who Sophie had just realized was also next to her, handed her a bottle of youth.

Sophie looked at him, confused. Edaline, still hugging her tightly, looked her over. She griped her head by the sides and turned it, looking her over.

"How do you feel?" Edaline asked her.

Sophie's head hurt too much to filter her words, meaning she didn't think to lie about how she felt. "I think my head is trying to kill me." She blurted.

Edaline frowned and hugged her again tightly, Grady joined in.

Sophie suddenly remembered what she was doing before she had passed out. "Wait, who opened the bathroom door? It was locked."

"Flori kicked the door down."

Sophie didn't want to think about who must have changed her into her clothes. Her head whipped to Flori, who was blushing. "You really did that for me?" Her eyes misted.

Flori nodded and smiled at her. "Anything for you, Sophie."

Sophie smiled at her gnomish bodyguard. At first, she had had her doubts about the little gnome guarding her, she had always felt guilty about it. She was glad to know that she was stronger than she looked.

Elwin started looking her over again, flashing different colored lights around her head.

"Do you remember what happened, Sophie?" He asked her.