chapter 33

READ 32 BEFORE THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T! <33

----------------------------

Sophie's eyes fluttered open to bright light streaming through her windows, she felt . . . new.

That was the only word she could think to describe it.

The newly formed gaps in her memory were hard to ignore. She still remembered why she had to do it, to protect her sanity. And she remembered the process and how she had done it herself. She had had gaps in her photographic memory for most of her life. Once she had gotten both of them back, she felt whole again. She didn't like the feel of her memories missing again.

Sophie changed and walked downstairs to get something to eat.

"Finally. I was starting to think you'd never wake up." Grady remarked as he saw her coming down the stairs.

"Wait, how long have I been asleep?"

"Around twenty hours." He answered without thinking.

"TWENTY HOURS?!"

He looked down apologetically. "Sorry, we didn't want to wake you. Once you were out, you were out."

"Still, you should've woken me." Sophie sat down next to her father with her arms crossed in front of her.

"How do you feel?" He asked after ruffling her hair gently.

Sophie shrugged. "Fine."

"You know you can be more descriptive than that."

She sighed. "I really don't know how I feel. I can feel these gaps in my memory now. And it's probably normal for you, you don't have a photographic memory. But it's just like before Mr. Forkle gave me my memories back. It's uncomfortable, I guess."

Grady leaned back in his chair. "That's the most I've heard you speak in a while."

Sophie didn't know how to respond. Sure, she remembered that she had been acting more distant and that she hadn't been herself these past few months. But she couldn't remember why.

"Good morning." Edaline strode into the room in a green sundress and a smile.

"Good morning." Grady stood to kiss her on the cheek.

"You guys are chipper this morning." Sophie remarked.

They said nothing, only smiling and going back to whatever they were doing before.

"So I heard you invited Dex over today." Edaline smiled widely at the statement, sharing a look with Grady who looked just as happy. Which only confused Sophie.

She nodded. "Yeah, it's been a while since we've hung out."

Her parents smiled even wider at her.

After breakfast, Sophie headed up to her room to change. Edaline and Grady were still smiling gaily as they finished breakfast, she didn't comment on it.

It felt as if she had just started playing music from her i-pod when Dex walked into her room, he looked nervous.

"Hey Dex." Sophie smiled at him.

He smiled back at her, already looking less awkward. "Hey, it's been a while hasn't it."

"Yeah."

They simply caught up on everything and shared lots of laughs together until sunset.

"Yeah, they cut the bottom off of all my pants again!" Dex laughed.

He was sharing the story of how the triplets cut the bottom of all his pants for the second time with Sophie.