chapter 23

During the day, Sophie stressed over the Neverseen. And nighttime wasn't much better either. She had actually filled two more boards of random brainstorming about the Neverseen. Sophie had had a few more "incidents", as her parents called them. Elwin and Livy had no idea what was wrong with her. Her friends still didn't know that she was having "incidents", and Sophie didn't want them to know.

"Mr. Forkle is here." Edaline popped into Sophie's room.

"Okay, thanks." Sophie smiled, Mr. Forkle was her last hope as to finding out what was happening to her. As anyone would be in her situation, she was scared. No one knew what was happening to her, too many possibilities as to what was it was were constantly flying through her head, none of them pretty.

She quickly headed downstairs to see a rumpled look Forkle, and Elwin and Livy were also there discussing quietly with each other.

"How'd you sleep?" Livy asked her, noticing her first.

"I think you know the answer to that." Over the past few days, Elwin and Livy had visited them multiple times. Each time they came, they brought over a stronger and more disgusting vial of medicine. Needless to say, none of them had worked.

Elwin's sedatives had nearly stopped working, they would only last for two hours the night before. Another thing that worried Edaline and Grady terribly.

Over the past few days, they had started looking more rumpled and the bags under their eyes grew more prominent. Whenever Sophie would ask how they were, they would just answer "we're just worried about you." She hated how tired they always looked, she had started to get more worried about them then she was for herself.

"Good morning, Miss Foster." Mr. Forkle gave her a tired smile. "How are you feeling?"

Sophie replied with a vague, "Fine."

"If I may, I would like to see what happens during your 'incidents'. I don't have a very clear idea of them." Mr. Forkle reached for her temples, hovering while waiting for permission.

Sophie offered a simple nod.

He closed his eyes, put his hands to her temples. A second later, he groaned and collapsed backwards onto the couch.

Elwin and Livy rushed over to him and Sophie staggered back. Edaline and Grady were next to her in an instant.

Elwin poured a couple elixirs into Mr. Forkle's mouth. After a few tense moments of Elwin and Livy both looking him over.

Livy stood, "He's going to be okay."

"Oh thank god." Sophie breathed. "What happened?"

"We don't know." Elwin sighed. "But, it actually sounds a lot like what happened to Fitz last week." Wow, had it only been a week?

"Like what happened to Fitz?" Livy repeated, confused.

Elwin went into a lengthy explanation of the day that Sophie and Fitz had tried to do cognate lessons. And it resulted in Fitz collapsing, and him being yelled at by Biana and Della for an hour (he had told her about it, it was brutal).

"Wow." Livy breathed. "There must be something in Sophie that's triggering this reaction."

Sophie's breath caught. Was this her fault too?

"What do you mean there's something in Sophie?" Grady asked.

"I don't know. There's nothing that I know of that can trigger this kind of reaction." Elwin tore a hand through his already messy hair.

Forkle started to stir, groaning and muttering incoherent things under his breath.

"Sophie, can you go into his mind and see what made him pass out? That's what made Fitz wake up last time." Edaline asked her.