chapter 38

a/n this chapter might be a little pg . . . but it's not like erotica or anything, just a little . . . touching *wink*

-------------------------------

A few hours after Sophie said goodbye to all her friends, Keefe came back to Havenfield.

"Did you have fun with all your friends today?" Edaline asked her. Sophie was helping Edaline cook dinner for a change, and she was having a good time despite her being a natural disaster in and out of the kitchen.

"Yeah I did," Sophie said, stirring together some purple goo and pink goo. She had no idea what she was making but she trusted that Edaline knew what she was doing.

"What's going on with Keefe?"

A light blush formed on Sophie's cheeks. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, are you guys a 'thing' now? What's the deal?"

Sophie's blush intensified. "I think we are."

"Are what?" Edaline laughed softly.

"A 'thing' I mean." Sophie was sure that she turned bright red.

"Oh young love." Edaline bit her lip, the corners of her mouth tilting up.

"Sophie?" She turned to the door, Grady stood there. "Keefe's here to see you."

"Again?" Sophie asked. "He just left a few hours ago."

Grady shrugged. "He's waiting for you outside. Sandor, keep an eye on those two, will you?"

Sandor tipped his chin in answer.

Sophie washed her hands quickly and she was still wiping them on her pants when she made her way outside.

"Missed me already, didn't you, Keefe?" Sophie teased. Her smirk immediately vanished when she saw the red rims around Keefe's eyes. "What's wrong?"

He chuckled softly. "No need for all the worry, Foster."

Sophie frowned.

"It, I just," He sighed. "Do you want to take a walk?"

"Don't go too far!" Bo called, reminding Sophie that she still had an entourage of bodyguards watching her and Keefe.

"Sure." Sophie offered Keefe her hand, still very confused.

Keefe led her a little ways away from their guards but still on the property of Havenfield.

"My parents are officially getting divorced." He sighed.

Sophie just got more confused. "Uh, were they not before?"

"I mean, they weren't living with each other by any means, obviously, with my mom living in whatever creepy place the Neverseen has her in. But it, it just feels more real now."

Sophie squeezed his hand reassuringly. "It's not like anything is really changing." It was a weak stance to take, but she really couldn't think of much else to say on the spot.

"I know I'm probably just being stupid but . . . I used to think my mom was the good one. And then, I found out she was literally evil." He kicked a rock that was in his path and Sophie felt him getting more frustrated. "You know, my mom used to spend some afternoons with me, teaching me how to make flower crowns." He laughed softly. "Then, she would tell me how disappointed she was of me later in the night."

Sophie didn't know how to comfort him, so she stayed silent and let him rant.

"It's silly, I know. And it's not like anything else is going to change. But it just all seems like it's getting to be too much." He chuckled softly. "Do I sound crazy?"