chapter 52

Keefe was awake still when Sophie stretched out the next morning, feigning sleep as to not worry her. She yawned as she looked upon his still face, pecking a quick kiss against his cheek before she laid back down beside him.

His heart gave a flutter at what she did as she thought he was still asleep, rearranging the blanket around them to keep him warm and then she pressed the softest of kisses to the pulse point in his neck, her lips lingering on his skin.

And then she was laying down next to him again, as if she had never moved in the first place.

What he wouldn't give to know what was running through that genius head of her's.

Hoping she couldn't hear his erratic heart beat, he focused on keeping his breathing rhythmic and even.

She laid there in silence for a long while, before she whispered, "I know you're awake."

Keefe cracked an eye open, "Caught me, huh?"

She nodded as she shifted so she could look up at him, "Your heart was pounding."

Keefe briefly debated cutting out the damned thing. "So it was."

She shifted, smiling to herself as she readjusted herself on his chest. "I want to go out, today."

Keefe raised an eyebrow, bracing his hand under his head. "Go where?"

"Anywhere." She murmured, "Show me the Lost Cities. I've been here years and I hardly know anything. I haven't been anywhere."

"Where though?" Keefe looked up at the canopy over Sophie's bed, the one that had watched and seen every scandalous moment between them. "Theres the Marnilia cove, Colium fields, Arnavlian falls-"

"Everything." She breathed, "I want to see everything."

"Everything will take more than a day, Foster." 

"Then, we'll have to take more than a day." She laid back down on her side, running a hand down his chest, "I want to see everything with you."

Unsaid words hung between them, she didn't need to say them for the words to strike deeply in Keefe's heart.

Before it's too late.

Keefe idly ran a hand through her tangled bed hair, "Okay, sure. I'll show you all my favorite places."

Sophie stifled a sigh of relief as she buried her face in his chest.

"Just you and me all day, Foster." He murmured, nudging her hair with his cheek.

"And us!" Ro's voice called from outside the door.

"We could ditch them." Sophie whispered deviously, a smirk curling on her lips as she bit her lower one.

"No, you can't!" Flori's voice came.

Keefe kissed the soft spot under Sophie's ear, "I wouldn't say that just yet."

"You just woke up, save it for tonight, lovebirds!"

Keefe pulled away from her skin to smile at her, "Wanna get ready so we can get going?"

She nodded, giving him a quick kiss on the corner of his mouth before getting up.

"Welcome to the Colium fields, Foster." Keefe smiled, throwing open his arms to the wide open plains around them.

Sophie's mouth dropped open in shock, "Butterflies?"

In a myriad of colors and sizes and shapes, the small insects flew from flower to flower, a carefree nature took the field. Elation coursed through Sophie, it filled her heart, lifting her up into the clouds.