chapter 31

"Hey Sophie, I'm running a little low on medicine. I'm heading to Slurps and Burps, wanna come?" Edaline popped her head into her room.

"Yeah, sure. I wouldn't be doing anything anyway." Sophie stood up from her bed, joining Edaline at the door.

Because of Sophie's accident prone tendencies, Edaline had to keep a stash of medicine handy at all times. And because of a disastrous few months, Edaline was almost out.

"Mysterium!" Edaline called out to the leapmaster. Sophie held hands with her mother and Flori, the physical contact that was needed for light leaping.

As the walls of her house faded away, and the streets of Mysterium glittered into focus, the people surrounding her gasped softly when they saw her.

As she walked past people, they either stared at her with scared eyes, or they refused to look at her.

She continued walking down the streets with her head down as she tried to ignore the muffled talking about her.

She exhaled in relief when the familiar small hut of Slurps and Burps came into view.

As she neared the store, the whispers grew, Sophie pulled her hair in front of her face to hide.

"You!" Sophie heard someone cry, her head snapped up and she noticed they were yelling at her.

She stomped up to Sophie, a fully grown women. By human standards, she looked maybe in her forties. But by elvin standards, she could be two hundred for all Sophie knew.

"You killed my son!" She cried, tears started to fall down her cheeks.

"I-I don't know what you're talking about." Sophie backed away from her.

"I saw you." She said eerily. "I saw you right before the ceiling crashed on top of my son!"

Sophie immediately knew what she was talking about.

Midterms.

"I'm so sorry for your loss. But it, it wasn't my fault." She stammered, remembering Alden's words from the day before.

"No. No it was your fault, I know it was your fault!" She launched herself at Sophie, Sandor and Bo had to hold her back. Sophie stumbled back, Edaline was next to her in an instant. Flori and Tarina stood in front of Sophie protectively.

"Let me at her! She killed my son!" Tears were streaming down her cheeks and she was still trying in vain to get past Sophie's burly guards.

"I-I didn't kill him. I didn't." Sophie tried to tell her. But her reminding herself that she didn't do it didn't work too well with a sobbing mother in front of her screaming that it was her fault.

"Ma'am! You need to calm down!" Sandor yelled as he struggled to keep the enraged mother from attacking Sophie.

Flori laid a steadying hand on her shoulder while Edaline held Sophie's hand.

Only then did Sophie realize that she was shaking.

Everyone was staring at the scene in front of them. Sophie noticed that they were more afraid of Sophie than they were of the enraged woman who was trying to attack her.

"Let's get you away from here." Edaline tugged on Sophie's hand gently, bringing her back into focus.

Sophie's legs had turned to jello, forcing her legs to move proved to be harder than she had thought.

Edaline took Sophie into Slurps and Burps, the crowd parted for them. Flori and Tarina followed behind them and Sandor and Bo had to stay to calm down the raging woman.