chapter 15

"Take the gnome, she'll help keep the Moonlark in check." One of the cloaked figures said. The other one picked up a fighting Flori, with no weapons, and put a cloth identical to Sophie's on Flori's mouth. Little by little, her movements became more sluggish and eventually stopped.

They shot at Grady and Edaline with melders, the melder incapacitated them, left them immobile. All they could do was watch as the Neverseen members hauled Sophie and Flori's limp bodies over their shoulders.

"NO!" Sandor roared, he charged them. Ruy put up a force field that Sandor bounced off of, harmlessly.

He kept trying to hit the force field, each time he did he got electrocuted.

The figure holding Sophie held a pathfinder with a yellow crystal. They stepped into the path it made and in a flash, they disappeared.

Sandor collapsed onto his knees. Then he saw Grady and Edaline on the ground and sighed.

"I know how to help you, but this is going to hurt." He said apologetically. He put one hand on their shoulder and the other on their back as he painfully snapped both Edaline and Grady's backs to allow them movement again.

"I can't believe they took her." Grady choked out.

He and Edaline were shaking.

"I can't believe I let them take her." Grady continued. He punched the ground.

"It wasn't your fault." Edaline told him softly. "It, it wasn't either of our faults." She said shakily.

They still sat on the floor outside, none of them seemed to know what to do.

None of them could exactly come to terms with the fact that Sophie was gone.

Sophie was gone.

---------------------------------

They were walking back out of Ravagog with the cure for Sophie, laughing and joking.

"I can't wait to go home and sleep in an actual bed." Fitz chuckled.

A loud buzzing filled the air, everyone froze.

Their panic rings were buzzing.

(A/N disclaimer, I'm pretty sure that's not how the panic rings work, but I do like the idea that they all buzz when one of them is in trouble)

"What does that mean?" Ro asked them.

Dex held up his hand telling her to wait. After a few rounds of the buzzing he gasped. (morse code)

"What?" She asked again.

Dex turned around, he paled. "It's Sophie, she's in trouble."

They broke into a run, with Keefe still injured, they went as fast as they could.

A transmission cut through their panicked run.

I love you.

It was Sophie's voice.

They all froze in place.

"That sounded like goodbye." Linh told them, tears of panic were beginning to collect in her eyes.

Panic and fear for their friend started to clog their throats.

"No!" Keefe told them. "We need to keep going, Sophie's okay. I know it." He said, fighting tears of his own.

They broke into a run again, Keefe ignored the pain in his torso, forcing his legs to keep moving forward.

They were all panting heavily when they broke through the barrier around the ogre city and were able to light leap again.