Chapter 7: Gulf

"I brought you your luggage," Mew is saying. The room is dark. I did not eat dinner. I just lied in the bed wanting to sleep off this day.

"Gulf, aren't you hungry? I'm leaving now. I left some food in the table. Please eat." Then I hear him walk out the room.

I opened my eyes in the darkness. I now have my luggage. I will escape this place once I'm sure that Mew is sleeping. For now, I need to up my strength. I need to eat.

I went to the kitchen and ate all the food. I need to be strong to leave this place.

Around 2 am, when it was eerily quiet, I tiptoed to the front door pulling my luggage with me. I  slowly opened it and checked the common hallway. Yes! No one is here.

I went to the eleavator and waited for it to stop at this floor. 20..21...22... Come on..25...26... I looked at my back making sure I am still alone. Then the elevator dinged and slowly opened.

I looked back in front just in time to see Mew's face and a uniformed guard with him. I stepped back and turned around silently, like a cat caught in action.

"That's it George. We can continue this tomorrow." Mew was saying. Then I hear him step out of the elevator.

Not a second more, my luggage was snatched from me and was being dragged to where I came from.

Mew looks so powerful wearing a black button down polo with a pissed off face.

He opened the door and went in. I followed behind.

"Sit down." Mew said sternly.

I held my rib acting like it still hurts. "I think I'm going to bed now, my rib still hurts."

Mew moved so fast and before I know it, he is kneeling in front of me, pulling my tee up. "Where does it hurt? Let me check."

I panicked and pushed him away causing him to be out of balance and tip on the carpetted floor.

"Goddammit Gulf!" Mew is really angry now.

I ran to the guest room and locked the door. I waited for him to knock. 1 minute.  2 minutes. When I didn't hear it, I went to the bed and lied down.

--------------------

I feel so hot and chilly at the same time. I feel so weak and sweaty. I still have my eyes closed. Is it morning already?

"He needs to rest Mew. I don't know how many times I've stressed that enough." Is that Dr Nicole?

"He overstressed himself last night. But I got it Nicole, really. I'll take care of him." Mew was reassuring the doctor.

"Mew," I said weakly.

"Yes Gulf." Mew was instantly by my bedside.

"I'm thirsty," I said. I'm parched.

"I'll get you water okay, just hang in there." Then Mew was gone.

I see a blurry Nicole approach me. It hurts even to open my eyes.

"Gulf, you can't just go around overstressing yourself just yet. An excess of running, or even sudden movements will cause you fever. You might think you're okay already but you're not. You need to eat healthy too, on a scheduled hour." Dr Nicole was saying.

"Sorry Doc," I said.

"Hey, here's your water." Mew is back. He put his hand at the back of my head so I can drink plenty.

Then he talked to Nicole after while he fixed  my blanket. "Nicole, you can leave. I'll make sure he behaves."

I closed my eyes and smiled dozing off to dreamland. So nice to feel taken cared of... by a stranger, nonetheless.

---------------

I don't know how long I have been sleeping, but when I woke up, I heard my stomach grumble. I'm very hungry. I tried to move but my body is so heavy.

"Stop moving. What do you need? I'll get it for you," Mew is saying. I opened my eyes and see him on the side of the bed, fussing over my blanket.

"I need to pee and I'm hungry." I said.

"Oh, okay. Let me help you stand up." He said while awkwardly helping me stand up. I put my hand in his shoulder. I can walk just fine.

"I can do it Mew, no need to baby me." I said, still a bit out of it.

"Okay you do your thing. I'll prepare your food." Mew went and left me to fix my hopefully not so smelly self.

I washed my face, brushed my teeth and also changed my clothes. Nicole said I can't take a shower yet since it might cause me to have chills again.

I went back to the bed and lied down again. Mew came in pushing a food cart with him. I smiled. I forgot he lives in a hotel.

I leaned on the bed post. "Why are you doing this Mew?" I asked him while he sets up the food. He put a bed tray over my lap and started putting some steak and fruits.

"I don't know how to answer that Gulf, so don't ask." He said glancing at me.

There was nothing in his glance, just pure concern, like a brother maybe?

"I'm a stranger, you're not obligated to help me." I said digging deeper into his reasons.

He smiled and nodded, "That is true. My scheduled life has just turned upside down since I met you."

"Are you complaining?" I asked. It irked me to know that he sees me as a nuisance.

"Yes and no. Yes because I don't like impulses and surprises. I want to always know what's ahead of me. And no because I get to spend more time with my family." He put the utensils on the tray too. "Eat." He said, then he went back to the single seater in the corner of the room, put his reading glasses on and read some things in his tablet.

I ate but still wanted to continue with our conversation. "My mother died just after my graduation. She had leukemia, but kept it from me." I paused to put some food in my mouth. then continued on. "My father only acknowledged that he has a son four years ago, when my mother asked for his help to finance my college education. He helped when he found out how smart I am. Probably thinking he can make money out of me. But he never really visited. I only saw him on tv."

I looked at Mew, waiting for him to talk.

"You have never met him?" He asked.

I looked at my food and started cutting the steak. I didn't want Mew to see my eyes, he'll see the hatred there. "I saw him once, after my mother died. He said he wants me to join him at his home with his present family, and also for me to be trained in politics. He wants me to carry on with his legacy."

"Don't you want to follow his footsteps?"

I laughed mockingly, "Do I want to follow his footsteps? Hmmm. He is a stranger to me. He isn't family, what footsteps are we talking about?"