Chapter 20: Mew

Gulf looks like he needs a break. It would be good for him to see other people other than me. His isolation is taking a toll on him. It's a good coincidence that there is a festival in the area. We can finally unwind.

"Do you want to drink Gulf?" I asked, feeling some tension from him.

"Sure," he said politely.

I directed him to a bar and I ordered a pack of beer. Once the server has served it, Gulf immediately opened one can and gulped it in one go.

"Gulf, slow down." I'm getting worried. He looks like he wants to hit me or something.

"Okay Mew." Which is a contradiction to his actions.

"Just relax Gulf," I tried again.

"I am relaxed Mew," he insists.

Okay then. I drank my beer, deep in thought. We weren't talking. Something is in the air tonight, actually the whole day. I have been trying to pinpoint the cause of the unease.

The server approached us batting her eyelashes, "Is there anything else you want to order Sir?" Is she flirting with me?

Before I can answer, Gulf spoke, "Just give us another pack of beer."

"Noted Sir," the server said to Gulf.

I have been observing Gulf. He still looks tensed like something is on his mind and he will snap anytime. His eyebrows are furrowed together, his full pink lips pursed forming a small heart shape. His eyes is everywhere but me. Then he catches me staring. He tried to smile unsuccessfully. Something is bothering him. Probably something that's bothering me too, something that I just decided to take a shot on this afternoon.

He drank his beer silently. It doesn't seem like he wants to have a conversation or even small talk with me. If that's what you need Gulf.

After a few minutes, the server brought the additional pack of beers. "Compliments from the other table sir."

"Huh?" Gulf said.

The server pointed to the table behind me, "The guy in jersey paid for this sir."

I turned around and saw a guy in jersey smile and bow his head in acknowledgement to Gulf. What the fuck?!

I turned back to Gulf. Hiding my irritation with a smile, I said, "So you have an admirer huh?"

I turned to the server, "French fries please."

The server went. I was about to talk to Gulf about not entertaining strangers when I saw him frown at me. What did I do now?

I feel myself getting annoyed. Gulf is like a woman on her period and his mood swings are all directed to me. I need to excuse myself before one of us snaps. "I'll just go to the rest room."

I went to the rest room and freshened up, washed my face and looked at myself in the mirror. Are you sure about what you're going to do Mew? There's no going back.

As I went back to our table, I see the jersey guy already sitting in my chair, talking and smiling at Gulf. Gulf responded something. Then the guy is extending his hand to Gulf. I went to the server.

"Hi," i said to the server mopping something on the bar station.

"Anything you need sir?" She asked sweetly.

I smiled, "Yes, ummm. Such a small town, you must know a lot of people here."

"I sure do." She said.

"Do you know who the jersey guy----" I turned to our table about to point to the guy when I saw Gulf kiss him.

All. I. See. Is. Red.