Chapter 17: Gulf

I opened the car window and smelled the breeze. I closed my eyes. I feel so carefree and happy right now. I hope this never ends.

I extended my hand outside the car and let it be whipped by the wind.

"Gulf put your hand inside the car please. It's not safe." Mew said while he concentrates on driving.

I rolled my eyes but smiled. Just this morning, I thought, I'll never see Mew again. I missed even his scolding.

"We're almost in the village Gulf. We're going to be staying here for a while until I get you out of the country." He said.

I looked at him, "How did you know I plan to get out?" I never told him of my plans.

He looked at me, "Common sense?" He said. "I'm not stupid Gulf. You've been saving up a lot. You don't have a permanent home and on top of that, you want to escape your father who is very influential in the whole country. It's not really rocket science."

I frowned. Now that Mew's with me, I didn't even think once about my plans. I looked at him, "How about you Mew?"

"What about me?" He asked.

"If you're staying with me for a while, what happens to your job then?" I asked.

"Billy will cover for me. He's supposed to be on vacation now, but I got his vacation credits, so he'll be flying on my stead," Mew has everything planned.

"How long are we going to stay here Mew?" I need to be on board of this plan.

"A week maybe. We are going to an isolated village, but this is still Montana, your father's territory, so we have to be really careful. I bought a cabin here." He said while maneuvering the car as he turns left.

"You bought a cabin?" Just for this? Why are you really doing this Mew?

"Yes, yesterday. It's what I did all day, planning." Mew said casually.

Just as I was about to ask another question, I see the view from outside. There's a lake.

"We're almost here Gulf. You will like it here," Mew sounds sure.

We drove past a "Welcome to Ennis Lake" sign, then I see houses and small shops. Barber shops. Mechanical shops. Salons. Coffee shops.

Then we continued past the central village trading place and went further.  There are a lot of trees on this part and I almost don't see the lake. The road became narrower.

Then all of a sudden, there's a clearing. We are nearing the lake. The trees opened up and I see a bungalow getting close. "Is this the cabin Mew?"

"Yes Gulf," Mew said while he checked for the best place to park.

Once the car stopped, I went out with a shocked expression on my face. My God, this is the most beautiful, most serene, most picturesque place I have ever seen.

The cabin looks small but cozy. It's made of cedar wood. the roof high enough to protect anyone during winter and summer. There is a stone chimney outlined on the side of the cabin. But what got my attention was the pathway to the lake. In front of the cabin, there is a wood pathway that stretched up until maybe 10 meters to the lake. Then there's a canoe floating on the side. Surrounding all these magnificent view are tall pine trees.

"Gulf? You want to help me out here?" I turned to see Mew carrying load of boxes out of the trunk.

Puzzled, I went to him. "What are these Mew?"

"Food and a lot of other necessities we would need here," I am so shocked at Mew's planning skills. We really came prepared.

"How did you prepare all this?" I asked while I carried one of the boxes to the porch.