Chapter 15: Gulf

I know that I have already overstayed. Mew might have thought that I am treating my situation lightly, but inside, I have dreaded this moment. Mew has now become my comfort zone. Someone I have trusted deeply even just for two weeks. 

I'm looking at the plane ticket that Mew's dad left. It is for tomorrow morning. Remembering the conversation last night...

-----------------

Mew sat beside me in the sofa. I can't even greet Mew's dad decently because I am in boxers. I was sitting the whole time, my pink sweater covering my legs and Cheekies still nestled there.

Mew's dad sat in the lazy boy.

"Gulf, we haven't really been properly introduced but I believe my son has mentioned me and our agreement regarding you," Mew's dad is very direct and all business. I had to step up.

"You are right sir. And you don't have to worry, I don't have intensions in extending my stay here." I said looking at him in the eye. I have no problem facing off with intimidating people. Most people I play with in the casino are entitled rich snobs and aristocrats.

"That's great to hear. It's good that I came here then. You are easier to talk to than my son." 

I looked at Mew. He just sat silently, not even looking at his father.

His father left something on the corner table and said, "This is your ticket back to Montana. Your flight is going to be early morning on the 22nd---"

Mew whipped his head to his dad and interrupted, "Dad, that's two days from now----"

"Yes it is! And you can't' change my mind." His dad said. Then he continued his speech. "You will be accompanied by my people to the airport and make sure you board the plane. Once you're there, someone will pick you up." Then he paused, took a deep breath and continued on. "I have already talked to your dad Gulf." The shock is on my face. I fisted my hands. 

Mew is breathing heavy beside me but is silent as well.

"He agreed to not send his men here as long as he sees you in two days." 

-------------------------

I read my ticket, Billings Logan International Airport. I have never been to Montana. I sighed, might as well face the music now. 

I packed my luggage still deep in thought. Can I still make a run for it? I know that my dad's security is very good since they have tracked me down a couple of times already. But, I have always escaped them. Maybe I can still run away once I reach Montana.

"Gulf?" I froze. I turned to Mew. He is standing by the door looking like his cat died. 

I smiled, "Cheer up. You don't need to worry about me Mew. This is gonna happen anyway."

He just looked at me, observing me. I observed back. Mew would have been a great partner. If only the circumstances were different... and if I am a better person, I will fight for this, whatever this is that is brewing in my chest. But I have my own battles I need fixed. It's not right for him to fix me everytime. The time for me being taken cared of has gone. I'd cherish that always.

Mew sighed deeply. "I need to go. I need to do something in the VCR. Let's have dinner later?"

"Sure Mew, I'm not going anywhere tonight," I said trying to joke about my living conditions.

----------------

Dinner is lonely. Mew looks like he wants to say something but he doesn't. And I look like I'm waiting for something but I don't really know what.

We ate steak silently. I tried to cheer him up. I can't seem to bear seeing him this remorseful. 

"So ummm, you'd have the television again. No one's gonna snatch it from you." I joked.

He looked at me and didn't even smile. Lame! That was lame Gulf. It wasn't even funny.

I just shut up the whole dinner. Then after, I sat down in the sofa to watch the news just like any other nights I've spent here. Cheekies is still here. He is with me up until I am escorted out of this hotel.  I feel a bit pissed at Mew. I've been trying to make things a little better but he doesn't even flinch. Ain't I supposed to feel worse than him? Why is he acting like he's the one who's been kicked out of this place.

Mew sat on the lazy boy. He didn't even sit beside me. 

"I think you should sleep early, you have an early flight tomorrow." He said out of the blue.

I looked at him incredulously. His insensitivity is just over the roof. Then I stood up and brought Cheekies with me. I left him in the living room without saying anything back. I banged the door to the guest room. I can't help myself. I'm starting to feel really bad. This is our last night together, we could spend it together watching tv or even just play with Cheekies or just sit at the sofa silently. I don't fucking care. I just want us to at least be together longer. Is that so hard to do?

------------------

I woke up alone. 

I was only left with a post-it on top of a folded denim jacket. I read the note. "Gulf, please wear me. Just a simple remembrance. Mew."

Mew gone. Mrs Potts just got Cheekies. I want to cry. No goodbye, just like that. I'm out.

In the living room are the two guards waiting for me to get ready. My flight is in two hours and I have to be there an hour before. I am actually prepared for the confrontation with my dad. I have a sound plan. All the money I have saved to be free of him already in place and just waiting to be given to him. I am more prepared to face my dad than to leave Mew.

"Let's go." I told the two guards who look like bouncers. Do I really need to be guarded by 2 big men? I sighed. What do you expect Gulf? You are a flight risk.

The drive to the airport is so fast, I can actually walk going there.  I was checked in in no time and just waiting for my flight. 

Finally I am alone.  In my hand is the cellphone that Mew gave. Do I call him?  Just to say thank you? Why though? Isn't  it clear already? Besides it doesn't look like it matters to him anyway. You'll just be disappointed Gulf. Stop it. Fuck it!

I stood up and threw the cellphone in the nearest trash bin. Then I thought about my plans instead. I will confront my father and set him straight. I'm an adult now and I have some cash stashed. I don't want to be involved in any web in politics. Besides, he has another son, younger maybe but definitely legitimate. He can train him.

"Passengers for Flight MN-258 please board the aircraft now...."

I stood up and wore the only remembrance Mew left me. Then filed with the rest of the passengers. I settled in my seat once onboarded.  I was assigned the window seat at the back of the plane.  

I looked out the window deep in thought. Mew. If there is anything worth remembering in my stay here, it's you.  

"Good morning ladies and gentlemen. On behalf of  Intercontinental Airlines, it is my pleasure to welcome you aboard flight MN 258 with service to Billings, Montana. Federal regulations require that carry-on items are stowed prior --------------" 

So this is it, just like all the people in my life, you're just as fast at disappearing.