Chapter 50: Gulf

"The Governor of Montana, Governor Robert McQueen is finally going to face a jury by trial. Some might say that this had been a long time coming. Everyone expects that one of his sons will snap and as you know, one just did. His sons have a strong extortion case against the governor. Former Lieutenant Governor Gulf McQueen who filed the complaint had been the governor's illegitimate son and was only legalized as his son when the Governor appointed him the Lieutenant Governor of the state. Which kept me thinking, how can a son who was given a roof over his head still manage to do this to his father. Gregg has the freshest news from Montana Municipal Hall."

Mew and I are sitting at the sofa watching the replayed news of my interview this morning. He was not able to see it. I saw him talking to my father. It wasn't long. By the time I decided to approach them, Mew already turned his back from my father.

I look at Mew, he is concentrating on the screen, his left hand stroking Luna who is positioned comfortably on his lap while his other hand is tapping his right leg.

"Hi Gulf! How was the last weeks so far?" I looked at Gregg on the television. Then the camera zoomed on me.

"You again CNT. Well, I feel like a big weight has been lifted off my shoulder to be honest. These few years with the governor had been really a drag for me, Ricky and his mom." I see myself smiling on tv.

"The governor had been elusive ever since you stepped down as LG, Gulf. He has not released any statements up until now. Aren't you wondering what's up his sleeves?" another reporter asked.

"He must be preparing for his defense which is understandable."

The CNT reporter spoke again, "Did you expect the judge's decision?"

"I believe in due process and hoping that justice will be served" I said humbly but with conviction.

"Do you think having the jurors decide on that justice is fair?" another reporter asked.

"I believe that the people my father has governed for eight years are in the best position to decide on this. My fellow Montanans know what's best for Montana. If there is one thing that I hold dearly when I started to live here, it's the people."

"That's from Lieutenant Governor Gulf McQueen after the decision was made. This is Leslie from CNT News, reprorting.

The replay has ended. There is silence in the suite. Mew and I just looking at the black screen. Then suddenly, Mew called someone on his phone.

"George? How's my parents?" Mew said. Then he nodded. "Great. Great."

Then Mew turned to me on the opposite corner of the sofa, "I need you to make sure that Ricky and his mom are guarded. Double the guards if necessary." Then he paused. "Yes Gulf is staying with me. You can send Black there for now. We don't plan to go out the casino anyway."

He paused for a while, then he said, "It's unlikely we can get the names George, but if we do, you have my permission. For now, make sure Gulf's lawyers have details too and make sure the governor is being watched. I cannot afford any mistake. We can't compromise the case, do it discretely and from a distance. You know the drill." Then he ended the call.

"What was that?" I asked.

"I just want to make sure we don't miss out anything until this ends Gulf," he said looking at me with something in his eyes. He looked like he wants to ask me something.

"What is it Mew?" I asked.

"You got beaten Gulf," Mew said. This is going to come up anyway so might as well discuss this now.