Chapter 12: Mew

"I know Billy. My vacation is almost over. I'd be back before you know it." I am talking to my first officer over the phone. He is complaining about Captain Jack. It's not really a suprise, Jack is an asshole.

"You better Mew. I can't take his cursing anymore and the stewardess are also complaining about his foul mouth." Billy is giving me an earful.

In my periphery, I see Gulf getting out of his room. "Billy, I have to go. Just wait a few more days. Thanks." then I ended the call.

I walked to Gulf who seem to be still out of sorts. His skin though is now back to normal, not red anymore. I extended my arms to help him.

"I can walk Mew," he said not looking at me directly. Something is really wrong with him. He looks shy.

"Why are you even walking? Can you go back to bed? I'll give you what you need," I said wanting him to just rest and regain his strength.

He reddened and continued walking to the sofa. I followed and sat beside him. "Why are you suddenly flushed?" I asked, feeling his forehead and cupping both his cheeks forcing him to look at me so I can look at the condition of his eyes. His face is turned to me. He is so red but he is looking downwards. "Look at me." I said.

He looked at me. His eyes are smoldering, kind of hiding something I can't explain. "I'm okay Mew." He said. "Can you please take off your hands from my cheeks please?"

I immediately let go of his face as if burnt. What is wrong with me?

I stood up and went to the kitchen. "You must be hungry. I'll just heat up dinner for you." I looked at him fidgeting quietly in the sofa. "What's wrong?"

He walked to the kitchen and leaned on the sink, "I want to say sorry. I heard you almost had an accident because you rushed here."

I turned my back to him, went to the microwave to heat his food. I smiled a little. So that's why he looks behaved. "Go sit in the dining chair. I'll just prepare your food, then we'll have a heart to heart talk."

He went to sit on the chair silently. After a few minutes, I brought his dinner and went to my room to get something I've been meaning to give him this afternoon.

I sat across him and gave him the paper bag. "You can take a look after you eat. Eat first."

He ate silently while I watched.

"Don't you like the food?" I asked.

He looked at me, "I do."

"Eat some more so you can drink your medicine after." I said. How can I leave him here if he can't fend for himself?

After 15 or so minutes, he finished and took his medicine.

I put the plates in the dishwasher which I never use and went back to sit across him.

We looked at each other.

"So listen Gulf ---- "

"I didn't mean to cause you trouble Mew ---"

We both said at the same time. "I go first." I said.

"Okay Mew."

"First, don't think about the accident because it didn't happen. I'm a great driver, you don't need to worry about it."

"Okay Mew." He is staring at me with his wide eyes, just being agreeable.

"Second, I bought you a cellphone. It's in the paper bag. I have my number on speed dial already. You call me right away if something happens when I'm away."