Chapter 52: Gulf

The chamomile scent permeates the air. My eyes are closed. I am lying on my stomach while the masseuse massages my back pressure points. This feels so blissful. I am in my boxers only, my body covered with chamomile oil. I can get used to this pampering, although it would be better if it's a couple's massage and Mew is beside me in this big bed. I looked at my left and see Luna's big eyes looking at me. Yup, Luna will do too.

"Do you want massage too baby? I'll give you some scratching later too. ok?" Yup, I'm talking to a cat. I think I need to visit Ricky and Betty later just to have some human interaction. Mew is always busy in his office.

"I'm back," I hear Mew's voice. Luna became alert and jumped down the bed to go to Mew. I need to teach her a lesson on loyalty.

I hear Mew speak from the bedroom door, "Isn't it your protocol to cover his exposed parts with a towel when you're not massaging those areas?" Mew is speaking to the poor masseuse.

I smiled, then took pity on the girl, "It's hot Mew. I requested for my skin to be exposed." I said. I can't actually see him in my position.

"This defeats the purpose of a massage Gulf, the warm air should help draw out the toxins in your body," Mew said. "Cover his lower butt and his legs."

I rolled my eyes.

"Stop rolling your eyes Gulf," my eyes bulged. He really has a sixth sense. "Did Luna eat?"

"Yes Mew." I said. How can I be jealous of a cat?

"Ummmm---- how about you?" He stammers.

My insides are jiggling inside. I can't stop my smile. "Yes Mew, I did. The pantry had some snacks brought in this afternoon."

"That's great then. I'll just go out tonight and will be back no later than eight," Mew said.

"Okay Mew. I will also go out if that's okay. I'd like to visit Ricky and Betty." I said.

"Black is here in the casino, he can drive for you," Mew said. Then I hear footsteps moving away.

I feel myself dozing off.

------------------------------

I feel something hairy purring on my neck. I slowly opened my eyes to see Luna inches away from me. Her eyes are looking at me tenderly.

"Are you hungry?" I whispered. Luna squeezed herself in my neck again.

I reached for my phone, 7:00 pm. I slept for an hour. I stood up cradling Luna in my arms, got her some cat biscuit and left her in her crib.

I showered and prepared myself to go out. I feel like wearing a plain white tee, dark denim pants and a leather jacket just like the old times, but this time though, I'm wearing Mew's clothes. While I'm at it, I clasped my tongue ring, which I have been keeping in my wallet. Mew and I haven't really had a talk about this but I am hopeful that everything is going back where it should. I looked at myself in the mirror, my hair still damp. The hot water gave my cheeks some blush. Hmmm, I look like a mannequin too if I have to say so myself.

I went to the sofa and called Black.

"Yes Sir?" Black said.

"First, I think it's time you stop calling me Sir. Second, where are you? I want to go to Ricky and Betty."

I hear murmurs on the other line, "Umm, I'll wait for you at the front of the casino Sir. I'll get the car ready now."

"Okay, I'll go down in ten minutes. I hope that's enough time for you." As I ended the call, I thought of the murmurs in the background. I have heard that voice before. Hmmmm, was he talking to Spring? That really sounded like Spring. Is he in the casino?

I dialed Mew's number. He is not answering. I dialed again. He still is not answering.

Should this bother me?

I slowly walked to the door leaving a sleeping Luna behind. I got into the elevator and pressed sixth floor instead of ground. It's an unconcious action I think. Upon reaching sixth floor, I stepped out and scanned the vicinity. I don't know what I should be looking for to be honest. I first went to the clinic, just peeking inside.

"Hi Doc!" Becca is sitting on her desk.

"Hey Gulf, this is a nice surprise. How has it been? Mew looks better this days," she is saying.

"Have you seen him?" I asked.

"No, but he must be in his office. That's where he is usually." Betty said.

I nodded, "Thanks Doc."

He's not there because he said he is going out tonight. I went to the casino just in case. I scanned the place. He is not here.

At the casino's door, George is waiting for me. "Gulf what are you doing here?"

"I am looking for Mew George, where is he?" I said smiling, relieved George is here. I should have asked him first.

"He is in a private meeting Gulf." George said looking straight at me.

"I see," I paused and just looked at George. George is someone who will pass a lie detection test even if everyone knows he's lying. Being a gambler and a politician, I am one hundred precent sure George is hiding something. If there is one thing I have learned about liars and being one myself, is that, to deliver it smoothly, one should state half truths. Meaning, right now Mew is having a private meeting with someone George does not want to reveal. I walked out of the casino and proceeded to another place I am familiar with in this floor.

"Gulf, Black is already waiting for you at the drop off point. Let me accompany you there." George was saying trying to lure me in the direction of the elevator.

""Let me just check on something George," I said and proceeded to the Japanese restaurant.

"Look Gulf, I'll tell Mew you were looking for him. He might just be busy-----" I did not hear the rest. I froze on my spot.

From where I am, I see a laughing Mew. He is inside the restaurant with the seasons. They all look happy and relaxed.

I froze for a few seconds, then I turned my back and got back to the elevator. I am not sure if George followed me or not. I just want to stay away from here.

My mind says this isn't what I'm thinking, that I should stay and clarifiy things, talk it out with Mew and that this is probably just nothing. But my feet, or rather my heart, does not see it that way. I have not seen him laugh like that for a long time. How can he smile so easily with the others?

I reached the first floor and walked to the waiting car. I see Black opening the car door for me. Black bowed and smiled softly and all I can think about is that I need comfort.

I hugged a stunned Black. He just froze while I buried my head in his neck and wrapped my arms around him.

"Sir, detach yourself from me," Black said panic in his voice.

"Just give me a sec Black, I just need comfort," I said reveling in his warmth. Mew can't even hug me.

Before I know it, I was being pulled away from Black. Then a fuming Mew punched him.

"It's not what you think Sir," Black said composing himself. "I don't want to be involved in your LQ." Then he went to the driver's seat.

Mew looked at me, rage in his eyes.

"Some things just don't change Mew," I said. My arms looped in front of me. "So where did your haphephobia go? If I had known this can cure you, I could have hugged him sooner."

"Is this a joke to you? Am I a joke to you?" Mew said stepping closer to me.

"Go back to your subs," I said back. Then I went inside the backseat of the car.

"Drive Black." Black turned on the engine.

On the opposite side, Mew got in. Then Black as if nothing happened, pressed the gas.

We are on our way to Ricky and Betty with an awkward silence in the car.