Bond

Ryder

Her jaw had dropped and her eyes were open so wide that they were probably burning when I finished the explanation.

"Are you okay?" I asked, "I mean I know you're shocked-"

"Shocked!? I just found out I was about to marry a criminal!"

Little do you know.

I couldn't help but be disappointed.

What will she think of me?

"See, that's why I'm trying to protect you" I said softly not wanting to upset her even more.

"What about my family?" She asked worried.

"I have them under protection" I answered confidently.

I had men patrolling around the neighborhood.

"But why do they have to think I'm missing?" She asked frowning. A cute little frown and a slight pout that I missed seeing.

"Because if, God forbid, someone manages to capture one of them or if they try trick them, they will do anything to find out where you are and your family might give in and tell them the truth"

"They wouldn't do that" she glared at me crossing her arms.

"Not willingly, but I know that when these people want to get something out of you they have very wicked and painful ways"

I remember their ways.

"How do you know?" She asked pushing her glasses up.

"That's a story for another day. Storytime is over now"

"Please" She pouted.

I looked away. I knew I could only take so much before I gave in to her cute expressions.

"It's no fun if you learn everything today. I have to keep you interested" I smirked.

"I'm not interested in you" She claimed giving me a disapproving look.

I raised an eyebrow crossing my arms.

"Okay, I am" She admitted, "But only out of curiosity. Nothing else"

I don't know why but that didn't sit right with me. I didn't want her to be curious about me, I wanted her to want to know me. I wanted her to care about me and I wanted both of us to try to fix things.

But I guess I was asking for too much. I was stupid to think every feeling would come back once I was back too.

I reached out to touch her face. When I saw she didn't move away or flinch I cupped her face gently.

"I don't care if you don't give a fuck about me. All I want is for you to be safe and happy even if it's without me" I said holding back a smirk, "But I know only I can keep you safe so I'm not letting you go. Not until I know you're safe and even after that. I won't leave you unless you want me to" I admitted.

Maybe I was selfish for thinking only I could keep her safe. Maybe I was delusional for thinking that I could make her happier than any other could when I've already broke her once. I wanted her to myself and I knew that, but I didn't want to admit it.

"You left once without a warning. I expect anything from you" She said. Her icy look made her look dangerous, but I knew she couldn't hurt a fly.

"I promise you sweetheart. This time, I'm here to stay" I smirked.

________

"How is she?" Gordon asked through the phone.

It was morning and she still hadn't woken up. I was in the kitchen making breakfast. I wasn't really good at cooking but I knew the basics.

"She's doing okay so far. She's understanding"

"Wow, definitely didn't expect that from her" He chuckled.

"Because you don't know her that well, asshole. I was absent for years and yet I still know her better than you"

"You're the one acting like an asshole here"

"Anyways we'll talk again later" I said when I heard light steps.

"Don't you dare-" His sentence was cut off as I ended the call, trying to keep my full attention on breakfast, but Amara behind me, leaning her forehead on my back was too much of a distraction.

I turned around to face her and smiled.

She's not a morning person.

"Hey sweet girl, good morning"

"I want coffee" She mumbled.

Of course.

After I'd given her her coffee she sat at the table and waited for her food.

I decided to stop locking her in her room since she seemed to understand my reasons and she hadn't tried anything funny. I wanted her to feel as comfortable as she could.

As soon as I put her food on the table she started basically gulping it down.

I loved the fact that she wasn't embarrassed or shy to eat in front of me.

"Won't you eat?" She asked after she'd eaten all her food.

"I've already eaten"

She seemed disappointed as she nodded keeping her gaze down and turned to stare at the wall.

Maybe I should wait for her next time. We can bond more that way.

"How about we watch a movie?" I asked.

Her eyes lit up and I saw her lips slightly turn into a smile.

"Sure" She answered, "What movie?" She asked.

"You know what movie" I smirked and crossed my arms.

I still had her favorite movie. We used to watch it everytime we were bored when she was younger and she'd never got bored of it. I never really paid attention to the movie. I watched her reactions and fascination. It seemed more entertaining and adorable.

"You remember?" She asked surprised with a subtle smile.

"Of course baby, I never forgot about it" I chuckled at her excitement.

"And you have it?"

"Yes, now go put it on. I'll bring some snacks"