Rings

Amara

"So you and my brother left to become criminals?" I asked shocked.

"Don't act like I'm some type of drug lord or hitman" He said rolling his eyes.

He sat next to me on the bed, but there was distance between us. For some reason I felt like we needed some distance. Him being really close to me would probably affect me.

"But have you killed anyone before?" I asked. He hesitated at first, but then opened his mouth to answer, "Actually don't answer that"

"Alright" He breathed out.

Yeah that's definitely suspicious.

"But why? Why did you have to go for that reason?" I asked.

Was your family not important enough?

"I needed the money, Amara. My dad is in this "business" or whatever you want to call it. He knew people so it was easy for me"

"Why didn't you just go to college like you wanted to? Do you like doing illegal stuff?"

He sighed.

"Of course not. Look Amara, a few days before I decided to leave, my dad and I had a terrible fight" He said, "He had me under pressure my whole life and I was sick of it. I told him I wanted to leave and he said he wouldn't give me any money if I left the house. I did go to college, but I had to pay for everything myself and the only way was this"

"That's not the only way and you know it"

"You're right, but it was the fastest way. I  planned to give it up when I would get my degree. I was young and stupid" He said looking down.

"But you didn't give it up?" I asked.

"Well I would, until I saw your wedding invitation in the mail" He chuckled bitterly.

"Why did it bother you so much? You hadn't seen me in years" I said finally looking right ti to his eyes.

He was so confusing.

He slid further next to me and cupped my cheek with his big hand.

His big vainy hand-

Okay I'll stop.

"I just couldn't picture my girl getting married" He whispered, his voice raspy.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"The first time I came back to save you from that wedding like a protective older brother" He said stroking my cheek with his thumb, "But I hope you don't see me like that anymore"

I started blushing like crazy and widened my eyes. I could feel the heat from my neck to my cheeks.

"W-what do you mean-"

He didn't let me complete my sentence and interrupted me by pushing his lips against mine. It was just a small peck. He pulled away immediately, which, if I'm being honest I didn't really like.

"Can I?" He asked. His lips were brushing against mine with every breath and his eyes were closed.

I had the irresistible urge to nod and kiss him, but I didn't.

"W-wait" I said putting my hands on his chest and pushing him back a little. He opened his eyes and sighed, "Seriously what did you mean? About the last thing you said?" I asked.

"I meant I don't see you as just my best friend's little sister anymore. You're not a sister to me anymore. I can't"

"Why?"

I wanted to hear it. I wanted to hear him say it.

He sat up and held my hands in his warm big ones. I could feel the coldness of his rings against my hands.

I always thought his rings were super cool. I remember him wearing them all through high school and he would always let me play with them and try them on even though they were too big for my fingers. It made me feel kind of happy to see him wearing them again and kind of nostalgic.

"Amara I've always cared about you a lot. I've always had a connection with you. We grew up together. You were basically like my little sister up until I saw you again"

"I still don't get it, I mean what am I to you now?" I asked, even though I knew.

"I can't imagine myself having these kind of romantic feelings towards any other woman, Amara" He said, his voice low and his slightly wide, cold brown eyes staring into mine, "Because I could never care about any other woman the way I care about you. I want you"

Hearing that made me smile. I tried biting my lip to hold it back, but he brought up his hand and stroked my bottom lip with his thumb.

"Were you scared when you found out what I do?" He whispered. He had some kind of vulnerability in his voice.

"A little" I said. I saw his gaze drop to the floor and his hand moved away from my lip and cupped my cheek.

"I would kill myself before hurting you" He said now gazing up at me.

The thought of that gave me shivers, I didn't know why.

"Don't say that" I told him, running my fingers through his hair.

His hand fell to his side and he relaxed at my touch, closing his eyes.

"What happened to Mary?" I asked after a long pause.

"We'll see, Amara" He said wrapping his arms around me, "For now I'm just glad to have you here. Let me enjoy it"

I chuckled, "Okay"

_______

Ryder spent the rest of the day in his office. He said he had a lot of work to do, but I missed him. He said to go find him if I need him, but I didn't want to bother him.

I left my room to go get some water from the kitchen. I thought everyone was at the meeting, but I saw someone there.

"Amy" I heard him say.

"Hey Gordon" I smiled and opened my arms to hug him. He ran right into my arms and let me hold him.

I remember when he used to be really distant during his years in high school. He rarely talked to me and when he did we usually fought, but sometimes he would actually try to be gentle and sweet even though he failed miserably most of the time.

He seems to be better at being nice now.

"I missed you" He said.

"What happened to Mary?" I asked him.

He must know something.

His face fell and I knew I wasn't going to hear good news.

"We don't know. I talked to Jason and he said he hasn't seen her ever since we took you" He said.

That's not good.

"He said they were really angry"

"Don't worry Gordon we'll get her back" I told him. I knew he cared about her.

"No. She betrayed us" He said looking down at the floor. I knew he didn't mean that.

"She didn't have a choice. You know that"

"Yeah, I know that" He whispered, "Anyways I have to get to Ryder. We'll talk later" He said and walked away.

I just hope Mary is okay.