Chapter 6: Before (3)

Author's Note:

Enjoy!

bobbiejelly

Lost & Found

Meredith Grey isn't the only one who lost her panties the night of the hospital prom. This is the story of when Derek Shepherd finds Addison Montgomery's panties in Meredith's prom dress.

Chapter 6: Before (3)

ADDISON

Finn Dandridge is hugging me and people are staring at both of us and it's pissing me off because- we're not the ones having a fucking affair, here, they are, Goddammit!.

People are staring because they know I'm married and Meredith's dating Finn and he's wearing a tux that looks like Derek's and I'm wearing a red dress that looks nothing like Meredith's and this is all so fucked up I could die.

"Are you okay?" Asks Finn.

You realize he might not remember my name.

Even though he put our (Meredith, Derek and my) dog, Doc, or McDog, down today and I walked away from it all because I couldn't bear him being let go.

I loved that dog more than anything even if I didn't admit that to Derek or Meredith or anyone else for that matter.

Bailey might have guessed that fact based on the way I got poison oak walking him.

But I'm sure Derek didn't know even though he'd known about the poison oak thing.

Derek didn't pay attention to me then even when I was right in front of him and he's most certainly not paying attention to me right now.

Right now, Derek is off fucking Meredith somewhere and I try to hate Derek and I can't bring myself to hate Meredith (because I kinda like-like her), so I just hate myself even more.

Finn's paying attention to me though, and I think it's ridiculous that my prophecy came true.

I yelled at Derek two days ago that if I dated the vet it wouldn't matter because I'm not Meredith Grey.

Turns out that's true as it can be, not that I'm dating Finne, but he's hugging (consoling) me, and I'm hugging (consoling) him back, and Derek's nowhere to be found.

I ask Finn if he wants to dance with me as some sort of a 'consolation prize,'.

Finn smiles and says I'm prettier than just a 'consolation prize,'.

I tell Finn right then and there that I will NOT under any circumstances have an affair with HIM at this hospital PROM.

Finn just laughs and says he's relieved because he thinks I'm wonderful but that I'm not really his 'type,' and he's not quite over his dead wife anyway.

"But what about Meredith?" I ask Finn. I reveal as we start dancing but not slow-dancing, just regular-dancing, and just because it's awkward to stand still to music.

"Meredith, she's... Meredith is different... I can't explain it..." Finn tells you.

"I know," I admit. Finn doesn't take it as an admission though, Finn just looks at me sympathetically and says "I'm sorry your husband's cheating on you with her," with a sigh.

Oh.

That's when I realize Finn's figured it out also.

"What are you going to do now about all your plans?" I ask Finn.

I may not want him, but I kind of want Finn to be happy. He's a really good guy after all.

"I still have all my animals to take care of as friends. Do you know that Meredith helped me birth a horse the other day? It was her first time doing that on our first date and then we had dinner but we never slept together, then, or ever," says Finn to me in a rather brutally honest way.

"Meredith helped you birth a horse?" I ask, realizing I just focused on the 'her,' part of his sentence.

"Yeah, Meredith helped you birth a baby, didn't she?" Finn asks you.

I laugh because it's true but the parallels are so ridiculous and her helping out the patients while she's scheduled on a case with me is so different than Meredith willingly participating in a horse-birthing in her free time in the evening.

"Is she good?" Finn asks me.

"WHAT?!" I freak out because my mind stupidly jumps to the question 'is she at all good in bed like your husband probably thinks that she is, seeing as he's chased her down the hallway to have his way with her while he's married to you and she's dating me and we're at a stupid-ass hospital prom?'

"Is Meredith good at birthing babies? She's good at birthing horses, or at least she was that time... I just figured she'd be good at it that's all," Finn offers.

(Oh.)

"Yeah, she's uh," I realize I can't say this with a straight face.

Straight - HA!

(Dude. Not the time. For really gay-ass-puns.)

"Meredith is a talented surgeon," I finally settle on because I can't say the word "Doctor," without imagining her 'playing Doctor,' with me. Fuck.

"I'm glad. I'm proud of her, you know? Meredith is a good person," Finn smiles.

"I know," I sigh, because it's so damn true and it would be so much easier if I could have just hated my husband's no-longer-ex-mistress on principle.

"Do you, are you, you?" Finn mumbles incoherently.

"Huh?" I ask Finn, wondering what the hell he's trying to ask me.

"Never mind, it's none of my business," Finn offers kindly.

(This is why he's such a good guy!)

"Thanks," I say and he nods.

I fast-dance with Finn until Derek and Meredith emerge from the exam room looking sheepish and disheveled and flustered.

"Hey, Meredith," Finn pretends he doesn't notice their fucked-out appearances.

"Hey, Meredith," I say, realizing too late I said her name instead of my husband's.

Sorry, Derek. But I'm not really sorry. I really probably totally should be?

****** END OF CHAPTER 6

Author's Note:

Thanks for following along with this semi-slow burn about their semi-formal and semi-slow dances.

Okay, now I need to stop saying 'semi,'.

Take care and see you all in the comments!

bobbiejelly

Feel free to check out these while you wait for more of this story:

Falling Apart, Barely Breathing

Soothe

Second Person (The Diary of Addison Montgomery)

See you soon in the comments,

bobbiejelly