The Sea

To those who chose the sea, knowing it was a better fate. Knowing that what awaited them when that ship docked ashore would be worse than death. Knowing that in death they might not be honored but in life they would know great suffering.

To those who chose the sea, not knowing what creatures awaited them. Not knowing if the gods would welcome them. Not knowing if their people would weep for them.

To those who chose the sea, feeling the breath of life leave them to be traded for the raging waters of Mother Earth's sadness. Feeling the familial ties being severed forever. Feeling the fight to stay alive flee their spirit. 

To those who chose the sea, were you scared in those final moments? Was it an act of bravery, or an effort to survive? Did you hope someone would save you? Did you think you would be saved? 

To those who chose the sea, did you foresee this coming? Were you warned? Did you think that was the only way home? When you jumped, were you in chains? Were you pushed, or thrown into the raging waters?

To those who chose the sea, sacrificing their legacies for the right to die free. Did you see the generations to come? In those final moments, who did you think of? 

To those who chose the sea, we hear your whispered final prayers. We feel your fear of the unknown. We see your rage in the storms you send. We taste your sadness in the rain that falls. We smell the salt in your tears. Weep no more, justice is near. 

To those who chose the sea, you are in our every memory. Gone but not forgotten as your strength lives within us. It is through us that you live to see and fight another day. 

To those who chose the sea, justice will be attained, so that you may rest in peace, rise in power and come again to impart everlasting wisdom upon us. 

Hey yall!!

Hey yall!!

This was inspired by a post I saw and in the picture it said, "In memory of the ones who chose the sea"🖤. I felt a sadness when seeing that and I started to imagine all that could've gone through the heads of those men and women on the ships. The decision between life and death. The gut feeling that the journey would not have ended well for them, but they weren't going to stay to find out if it ever did.

Life was (and still is) seen as a sacred gift from the gods in those days. And for one to take that gift, was basically seen as a crime against the Earth that could lead to you not having entry into the afterlife. Yet having this knowledge, some of those men and women still took that leap. I hope they were pardoned by the Earth goddess.

That's what inspired this piece.

Leave some thoughts and see you in the next one 💖