Chapter 20

Blair

The days passed slowly, and it was the same routine every day. Eat, scrub the floors, get abused by Leighton and her friends - actually less now. Leighton was a bit nicer and happier and I had no idea why, but I was definitely not going to complain -, train, scrub the floors some more, eat again and go to bed.

I realized that I needed my trainings. I needed them, craved them.

Every day I'd anxiously wait for the clock to strike two so I could ditch my filthy gloves, bucket and sponge, then head for the gym.

At the gym, I could clear my head and just forget where I was. I was so fucking miserable here.

I heard laughter and immediately snapped out of my daydream and went back to scrubbing the floor.

Leighton walked in the room with Taylor and he was telling her a story.

What the fuck was going on there? Since when was Taylor friends with Leighton? He was the one who desperately wanted to escape and he was constantly calling her delusional, insane, crazy, psychotic, and a bunch of demeaning things. Since when did he joke around with her?

He shut up when he saw me and glared. What the hell was he glaring at me for? I hadn't done anything to him!

Leighton finally realized I was here and raised an eyebrow at me. "You're still here? It's been over half an hour!"

"I want to make sure I'm doing my job properly, Leighton," I mumbled, looking down.

She didn't answer but I knew she rolled her eyes like she always did whenever she talked to me.

"Do you wish to come with us to the kitchen? Our cook's made some delicious lemon pie," she said.

This was the second time she offered me dessert, why was she so nice?

Maybe it was Taylor. She was in love with him, and I noticed that they were finally bonding. Perhaps it made her happy enough to want to be nice to me.

I knew saying no would piss her off, and she would probably never offer me sweets again so I nodded.

"Yes, I'll have some pie with you. Thank you," I whispered.

I never talked loud when she was around, for fear she might consider my tone disrespectful.

I followed them to the kitchen and the pie was waiting on the counter. She motioned to me to serve them so I got three plates and cut three equal pieces for us to eat.

Leighton broke the silence quickly. "How's your training going along, Blair?" She asked me, her tone neutral. It was a nice change from her usual snippy and angry tone.

"It's great! It was very harsh but I found that I actually enjoy it now. I just need to work a bit more on my climbing skills, that's the hardest so far."

She seemed satisfied. "Joseph told me that you were getting better each day. Your soon going to start doing simulations. We're gonna see how well you'd manage on stealth missions."

I nodded again. Stealth missions? That shouldn't be too hard. We had talked about situations like that with Ralph and Mitchell.

"So am I considered a Seeker?" I asked. I had learned all about this creed, and found out its name.

"No, not yet," she said, chuckling. "You haven't even acquired your uniform yet. You need to go on several missions first and you're a long way from being ready."

"Oh," was all I could manage.

Her eyes then lit with passion. "What we do isn't easy, we work hard, we train hard and we have no time to play! We have a very serious job. To be a Seeker, you have to be patient, serious, skilled, passionate, full of ambition and daring! That's why our motto is dare to seek, seek to dare."