Ch.9 Preparation before Presentation

Normal POV

During school, Akari and Wakatoshi had the same classes together. Containing: 

Homeroom (Class 3-A) 

English 

Geography

Japanese 1 

Track & Field (PE) 

Math

Painting  

Akari would talk more freely with Wakatoshi for corrections on a quiz or questions on a lecture. The first day was slow as Akari and Wakatoshi got to know somethings about one another. 

How Akari is good in English as she watches American Movies, completes online American courses, and sings American songs. She also knows a little bit of Korean since she listens to Blackpink (K-pop girlgroup). Akari would help Wakatoshi speak some vowels and sentences while he would help her with solving analytical math problems. 

He discovered that she loves Geography. How she can identify and remember the placement of each prefecture in Japan. How interesting that a person can remember the states of America and almost most of the countries on the world map. He thought that this was impressive and cool, which deep down in him, he was feeling intrigued by her. 

Akari then discovered that he is the fastest boy in their PE class and she was amazed. Some of the girls that were in that class was squealing as they see him wiping sweat off his face with a towel. She had some boys too, checking her out but she paid no attention to them. She came to a conclusion that he loves to run. 

During PE, when they were both doing 2 laps around the track for warm ups. Akari made an effort to keep up with him at his pace. Wakatoshi can hear her huffing and breathing but just kept on running. He admired her athleticism and determination to do her best. Which he became quite fond of her.

They ate lunch with Asumi, Tendou, Reon, and Semi. Them 2 eating next to each other while they both listened to Tendou speaking about Manga series. 

Wakatoshi discovers that Akari also loves to eat Teriyaki Chicken, Miso Soup and Sushi Rice. So, he places his own Teriyaki Chicken on the side of her bowl as he ate beef and some rice. 

"You need to eat more meat." He would state. "More muscles." Akari would say thank you and promised him that she would learn how to make Hayashi Rice for him. He would simply nod and said he would like to see that. 

Akari thinks back though on what he said about 'More Muscles'. Was she to flabby? Too big? Short and Plump? But she pushed the thoughts away and continued eating all while smiling. She gets to eat more Teriyaki Chicken. 

~~~~~

After school, Wakatoshi would walk her to her dorm as they both would be getting ready for practice that started at 4 and ends at 8. Akari would say thanks and touch his arm gently to show appreciation but Wakatoshi would be left at the door thinking about her gesture before walking to his dorm. He repeated her words in his mind and couldn't help but smile. 

"Thank you, Wakatoshi-kun. I'll see you later."  

Akari's POV

Volleyball time. 

 I stepped into the gym, leaving school, people, and the negativity in front of the doors. This is where, as a volleyball player, you improve on your strengths and weaknesses. I know that my strengths are my spikes, my defense in the back row, and my serve receives. I know that my weaknesses are my setting, my blocking, the control of my serving, and the power control of my spikes. I would need time and practice to adjust to any set if it's off the net or out of system. 

"Hey there, Ace." Raesoo waves as she was practice her receives with Nakano-senpai who was practicing on her setting towards the Left side, Middle, or Back Side. Yuna-senpai, Rui-san, Kiyoko-san, Chiyo-san were either stretching or serving. I was the first 1st year to arrive as Coach Haku steps out of the club room. 

"I heard what Coach Washijo proposed." He said. "And we better get you ready and all of us ready if we want to show them what we got." I nodded as I agree too. 

"What will we be doing today?" 

"We'll be doing drills called: Servers vs Receivers, Defense, Spiking, and then Offense." He writes it on a white board as he places it next to a bench that he would be sitting on. 

"That's awesome." I said, excited for today. 

"We will be doing this until next Saturday. While we will still be doing Conditioning in the mornings along with anyone who wants the extra practice before the bell rings." He pointed out as the other first years came in. "Now, get ready for practice." 

I headed to the locker room and met with Asumi, Mei, and Saeko. We all started to stretch and warm up by peppering. 

~~~~~

Normal POV

It was the last hour as the regulars were on one side while the others were either serving or blocking. 

Koyuki(OP)                                                                 Yuna (MB)                                                              Kiyoko (WS)

Akari (WS)                                                                   Raesoo (L)                                                                 Nakano (S)

Blockers:

Chiyo (WS)                                                               Mei (MB)                                                                        Rui (S) 

*Asumi - Practicing her Left Back defense

Servers: Saeko (Pinch Server), Kasumi (DS/Pinch Server - Jump Serve)

The terminology they would be practicing today is: Sendai, Tohoku, & Gunma

Sendai ---> Slide by MB or WS 

Tohoku ---> X Offensive play in between Setter if she's up 

Gunma ---> Set in between the Pin Blocker & MB

Nakano gathered the regulars as she came up with a plan. 

"Alright, when we get a perfect pass in front me or on my head, Yuna do Sendai." The middle blocker to her friend. "Kiyoko, I want you to move in and spike in the middle, while Koyuki you just stay on the left so that their is only 1 blocker on you. Okay?" 

"Yes!" They all said as Nakano claps. 

"Let's go!" 

Akari's POV

This is it. Although I won't be able to spike all the time because I'm in the back row; for now But in the future I would be able to. I just gotta be patient and calm. As Saeko does her float serve, it floats to my seam next to Raesoo as she was covering Kiyoko's. The ball floated deeper as I took 3 steps, beating the ball that was gonna land in front of the end line. I had to adjust fast because she is known for her Float serves that comes fast like a bullet. 

I held my position for at least 2 seconds before looking up to see it by Nakano. I felt confident and fired up as I watched Yuna do a line shot with her slide. 

I couldn't but smile as I realized now, I'm not just a Wing Spiker that usually hides for everyone else to pass. I can also receive as well. 

I stood up straight to stretch my shoulders to start spiking as I moved to the front row after 3 more receives. 

"Time to Spike." Imagining the Mei as Tendou being the Middle Blocker, Chiyo as Reon on the right and Rui as Wakatoshi............

Right in front of me.