Ch.39 An Ace is the Queen in Chess

Kimiko's POV

As the game went on, I notice that my teammates are getting frustrated as they keep making unnecessary errors. I sighed as the score now is 11-8. As they go down, most likely Nana will be sending every ball to me. Which is fine because I am the Ace. The Queen. Nicknamed me in my 1st year as I won Nationals for Niiyama and got MVP. Now, my 3rd year as a 2 time National Champion and participating in the Junior Olympic team for Japan, I'm entitled to that name. 

Being a Queen is being the most powerful thing in a chess or in anything else. Our King is literally the volleyball, so I think that way. If you let it drop, checkmate. Every single player is a pawn, mixed with their position as Rook, Knight, or Bishop. I think this way because I play chess when I went to America for the Junior Olympic Tournament. It's really calming and it gets you thinking about the next few attacks and moves. 

The Ace is definitely the Queen. But all together, I think Niyama in general are Queens. Plural. I can't win everything as an Ace. There is a big court and you can only touch the ball once until someone else touches it. As I watched Akari leading our 3 blockers, I'm ready for the ball to come over easily over the block but as I heard the sound of the King landing on the court, I'm amazed because, this 1st year just did a cut shot. 

I see her jumped in the air again and cheered with her teammates. That was definitely not there in the last time I've seen you. The only person who would do those cut shots is....Mako. I smiled to myself, oh Mako. Sweet Mako.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Somewhere in Tokyo where a practice match is going on. Mako pumps her fists in the air as she performs her ultimate attack, the left-handed cut shot, and then all of a sudden she sneezed. The gym was silent as her teammates started to laugh at her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Block her!" Our Coach yells as we put up a triple block on Akari as she went in for a back row attack in 1st tempo. But their setter sets over Akari's left hand and the ball floats to the Wing Spiker she slams it down as I picked it up. 

"Nana!!" I called as I backed up to get ready to end this rally. The ball comes high for me as I spiked it down in the center but as I landed and looked to see if the ball is down, Akari's hands are underneath it as it went over to our side in the back corner. Nana and our Libero tried to get it but couldn't even if she dived. 

After 5 spikes hitting it down in the center of the court in this 4th set, Akari manages to pick up this one. As she gets up and puts her fists in the air, I can see the fire in her eyes more clearly. She's standing out more than the rest of her teammates. Every spike and serve I hit to her, it bugs me to death on why and how she's able to get it up, or even touch. I started to get fired up as well. 

"Nana!!" 

"2 blockers!!" 

I went and notice that Akari is in the front row. My turn for a cut shot. As I hit it with all my might. I hear a BAMM! Real close to me. At my own feet. I looked up to see their Middle Blocker, Yuna, hands turned which blocked my vision for Akari. And then I looked at the other blocker who wasn't even blocking the line shot but Nakano was there. Yuna, bends her knees, turns around and shouts out. Akari did the same as the whole gym started to get loud. 

Now, they put us in check. 

The 5th set. Most important one, up to 15. It's nerve racking because we should've close this in the 3rd set. See how we wait and then let our guard down. I sighed as I wiped the sweat off my face. I'm getting a little tired since we played 4 sets. But, I can tell Shiratorizawa is too. Even Akari as I watched her stretching her arms and legs.