Ch.31 Cut Shot

Normal POV

Each day, Akari practiced on her cut shots after the practice matches with Mako. Akari would sometimes hit it in the net or in the blocks. Akari persisted and ask Nakano to set her once more before she's satisfied with it.

When her spikes do get over the net, it would hit to the Setter or Opposite Hitter. Which was OK for her, she wanted to feel that feeling where they look at you like confused puppy.

When Aimi couldn't make it because she's practicing with her own team, so Mako, Sakiko, Suzuki, and Akari played 2 on 2. Which was really fun for the last 2 nights of the training camp. On the last day, she finally mastered how to do the thing that she was training for.

For their last practice set, Shiratorizawa played against Itachiyama. 25-24.

It was a long rally as Raesoo can finally receive Mako's spikes as Nakano and the others did a synchronized attack even if the dig because it was perfect with Nakano setting at 1st tempo. Akari switched with Koyuki because they had a tough receive and couldn't go to their basic defensive position in time since Itachiyama was doing a quick attack.

Akari sees the ball, sees the opening. As fast and as powerful, spikes it like a whip as it caught the line behind their Setter. Akari landed and jump around as she just scored the last point. Her teammates are cheering.

"Akari just did a cut shot!" Mako exclaims as Aimi and Suzuki deadpans. Mako gasps sharply and sweat drops.

"Yess Akari!! You mastered a cut shot. Can't wait to challenge you in Nationals." Mako puts her fists in the air as she faces Akari as Akari copied that motion.

"First, we have to win against Niyama." Akari says as the team cheered.

Coach Haku claps as they had a quick meeting before getting a surprise after we changed and going to the cafeteria.

"Each and every one of you are improving." He said with a proud tone. "When we get back to school, we have a practice match against the boys again next Saturday. So let's continue on getting ready for the Boys."

"Yes!"

"Right now, you all can meet at the cafeteria when you guys change into more clean clothes or go there now." Coach Haku dismissed us as me and Asami raced to our classroom where we were sleeping at and we changed clothes. I untwisted my braid as we head to the cafeteria. 

As I was a few meters away, I smelled meat. I eyes lit up as I dashed to the doors. Asami called out as she runs too. 

I saw the managers and some adults in the kitchen as they were bringing out food on a long table. I see the girls all scattered mostly on one side of the cafeteria. I see Mako waving me over as Asami went to Mei and Saeko. 

"Hey Akari." Sakiko smiles as I sat on the edge of the table next to Mako while Suzuki, Aimi, and Sakiko was on the other side. 

"Hey Sakiko." I replied back as I sniff the air. "Smells like Teriyaki chicken." 

"Must be your favorite food, huh?" Mako rests her chin on her hand as she looks at me. I hum in response as Coach Yamiji clears his throat right in front of the long table of food. 

"I would like to thank all of you for playing your best and learning something out of this training camp." Coach Yamiji announces with a smile. "Now, you can eat what you like to rebuild your muscles from all that hard work from these 6 days of constant playing against each other and learning from one another." 

"There will be another training camp in 3 weeks. The location is to be determine. We would all see each other again, so let's use these last remaining hours of the training camp to bond with each other. Now, let's eat!" 

"Thank you for the meal!!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Normal POV

Akari came back to the table with mostly Onigiris and Teriyaki Chicken with other meats. She placed her cup of water on her left side as she licks her lips and digs in. 

"So, Akari how come I don't see you in training camps in Middle School?" Sakiko asked as she switched seats with Mako. Akari tilted her head and recalls her Middle School days. She drinks water before speaking.

"I only went to one junior training camp." Akari pointed out as Sakiko was surprised.

"Which one? When? Where?" 

"I don't remember. But I remember you. Um, it was when you and some other boys from Dosho Middle school. I was the only girl from Chidoriyama to go but I went with my best buddy Nishinoya who's a 3rd year now as a Libero." 

"Boys?" Sakiko tilted her head as she was eating at the same time. 

"Sakiko, don't talk with your mouth full." Mako scolds her as she heard her talking and eating at the same time. 

"Sorry, but do you mean Komori and Sakusa?" Akari shrugs as she continues to eat. Her memory is a little fuzzy because all she was focused on was playing volleyball. She would ask Wakatoshi about it since he said he went to the same one she went too but she couldn't remember him and neither could he. He might be able to identify this Komori and Sakusa. 

"They're 3rd years now at Dosho Middle." Sakiko explains. "I know Komori well but Sakusa, he was quiet but is really good in volleyball." 

"Well, I hope to meet them next year then." Akari said before taking a bite of her rice balls and then eating it together with a piece of teriyaki chicken. She want more because the flavors were too good. She smiled to herself, thinking about Wakatoshi grabbing a plate full of Teriyaki chicken just for her. Or even recalling the times where he would give her some of his meat. Akari is a carnivore but Wakatoshi would persuade her to eat vegetables to since they are healthy and it might, just might help her grow an inch. 

Well, anything she had to do to enjoy a bite of the flavors she desires when she sees meat. 

She started to get to know Sakiko and what she wanted to do when she's a 3rd year. Sakiko wants to be part of Kitsune Osaka, which is a women's professional volleyball team in Division 1. Akari doesn't know which team to try out for. In fact, sometimes she can't picture herself in the V.League. All she had planned for is getting through High School to win Nationals like her Father. 

After that, her Father quit volleyball and works as a car auction company that has bases in Miyagi, Saitama, Osaka, and Hyogo. He would travel to Hyogo or Osaka because of his particular department and position. 

Akari wasn't interested in cars but she still needs to find out what she wants to do with life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As the team bid their goodbyes, they came back around midnight as they all went up to their dorms. Akari fell asleep after taking a fast shower. She wakes up at 8 and notice that something warm was lay next to her. And she thought wha tit might be since she's on the top bunk. 

She tried to stretch her arms but felt warmness of an arm on her waist as its hand rested in front of her. She touched the arm and her heart was beating fast now and knew from the touch, who's this. 

Wakatoshi?