Goodbye

March 25th, 2015

"Did you see the post?" Dad says to us all as he removes the kettle from the stove to pour everybody a cup of tea.

I throw my handbag on the kitchen bench and sit down next to Gemma.

"I haven't heard from him yet." Gemma says to us, looking up from her laptop with a sigh.

"I'm sure he's devastated, Gem. He may just need some space. He and Zayn were very close you know." Anne says as she gets up from her seat helping Dad placing the cups on the kitchen bench. Dad and I have made it a daily routine since I was in kindergarten to come to the Twist residence every afternoon for tea and a catchup. You'd think there wouldn't be much to catch up on every day, but I swear, Anne, Robin and Dad could talk for hours and never get bored with one another. I wish that were still how Harry and I were. I suppose we grew up.

I check my phone to see if he's messaged me yet, but I don't know why I bother. We barely speak anymore. It's been two years since his last text. I guess it would be easy to say the fame got to his head, but it never did. He always remained kind and poised according to Anne and Gemma. He just became so busy and was never in one place longer than a couple of days. But it isn't that hard to send a text. Or call me. Or facetime. Or hey pick up the damn phone when I reach out. But I don't reach out anymore. The phone is silent, my emails bounce back. He's everywhere and nowhere at the same time.

"Tilly?" Gemma says loudly.

"Sorry, what?" Dad places his hand on mine, passing me a cup of tea.

"It's okay, love. It would be hard missing Harry. But he said he'll be home for Christmas, dear, you know that. You'll see him then and I'm positive it will feel like nothing has changed between you both." I've always loved Anne. She's like a second mother. But I wish my mother was here, she'd know what to do. She was always surrounded by friends. At least that's what Dad says. I never really knew her, but he says I have her looks. I've never heard a man describe brunette hair as fondly as my Father does.

I flatten down my jeans along my thighs, removing any crinkles, kicking my legs out to admire the flares of my jeans.

"I just can't believe Zayn's leaving. I'm sure it would be hard but when they were all here to film the movie, they were so happy." I say out loud shrugging my shoulders.

"Not everybody can live a life in the spotlight, dear." Anne reminds me and I can't help but feel sorry for Zayn. Maybe his happiness was a front? Did Harry know?

"That's something you'll need to prepare for, Til." Dad mentions grinning widely. He finds every chance he gets to make the topic of conversation about me lately, I've never seen him this proud before.

A couple of months ago I sought out an agent from London to kickstart my acting career. Before then I had been doing short films, commercials around Holmes Chapel and some small acting gigs here and there for students at the local university. I guess I wanted a portfolio before I spent money on an agent. But as it turns out spending a few bucks on an agent served as a favour.

"It's one movie, Dad." I laugh, knowing it's in fact not just one movie. I auditioned for the role of 'Emma Roselynn' in an upcoming drama film going by the Title, 'Pond'. My agent, Joshua got me the audition and I guess I smashed it. Playing the role of Eric Dane's eighteen-year-old daughter is basically a dream come true.

"Have you packed your bags, Til? Gemma and I are going into town tomorrow morning, please come we'd love to help you out with the essentials for packing!" Anne says cheerfully. If I hadn't met this woman god knows where I would be.

"I'd love to come!" I say taking my mug to the sink and giving it a rinse.

"Are you nervous about your flight?" Gemma asks, running her finger around the edge of her cup.