Chapter 38- The cruel truth

I stared at the reddish almost purple mark on my neck. My current foundation didn't had enough coverage to get rid of this and the concealer would only make it worse... I should buy new makeup products.

But the almost impossible to cover bruise wasn't what worried me the most right now. Chloe. I needed to see her today and make her spill it all or else I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight. I could feel there's something more to this and if what Axel said is true, then I'm the worst friend ever that I never noticed what was going on with her.

It's confusing, she didn't or hasn't given any sign, she looks normal to me or maybe that's what she makes everyone believe.

He told me to go home and rest which means he has already settle my leave. I won't worry about work right now and also there's no way I could face everyone looking like this. With every second it's more noticeable and I believe I should be frightened or even mad at Axel's sudden aggression but I'm not. It's always like this, I feel terrified at the moment but then when it's over I want more.

"Why are you like this Amelia." I ask my reflection in the mirror as if I'm going to get an answer... not that I want one, that'll be scary as shit.

It was now or never, I had my blazer wrapped around my collar as if it were a scarf not worrying about how weird it looked. My body felt weak but it didn't mattered, I hurried to the parking lot receiving some weird glances but fuck them. It was my chance to speak to Chloe without Dylan getting on my way since he's still working.

I safely got to my car and started the engine when it passed through my mind that I didn't had any clue of Chloe's whereabouts. So now what... oh right! How could I forget about my dear friend, the one and only Dev.

"Five grand per second." It's the first thing I hear him say, how greedy...
"I need to know where Chloe is right now." It wasn't even four seconds when I hung the phone, damn it, I hope he's joking, that was 20k.

I see he isn't when my bank app sends me a notification of him requesting 20k, I hate him, but I need him. He got greedy the moment he realized I needed him, it's sad how he did my investigations for free back in the days and now every second has a price. I might have to stop using his services or he'll draw me to bankruptcy, seriously.

I received her address almost immediately after I sent him the money, it was as if he somehow knew I would ask him about her and he had that information ready to deliver. She was staying with Dylan in one of our hotels, so I went on my way.

It was impossible not to stand out as I entered the hotel, they all knew me so I took advantage of that and asked one of the maids to go upstairs with me. I knew Chloe wouldn't open the door if she saw I was the one behind it so I asked the old lady to knock the door and by the time Chloe opened it the lady slid away and I appeared in front of her.

Her face was priceless, she was dumbfounded, but I didn't gave her a chance to slam the door on my face, I slipped through her entering the room instantly.
"What--get the fuck out of here Amelia!" She raged, the door wide open for me to get out, but I didn't moved obviously.
"Relax, I need to have a word with you." Although I still have some resentment in my heart, I spoke to her as calmed as I could, I needed answers.

"Well I obviously don't want to, so can you please get out?" She looked impatient and preoccupied as if me being here would bring her trouble, well that's a sign. I walked closer to her and she thought I was going to do as she asked but instead I pulled her out of the way shutting the door.
"I know everything Chloe." I held her now sweaty hands, her attempt to dissimulate her fear said it all.
"What are you talking about?" She pushed off my hand and turned on her heels. "You know nothing." Her voice was shaking and it brought unease to my body.