Chapter 5

(Short Chapter)

Scotts POV:

I'm so happy that Cal decided to join me at the parade!!! I never thought he'd go... thought he'd be too... straight. Well at least I have something to look forward to this weekend, unlike my bills. Why is being an adult so hard? I wish I could go back to the past and tell my younger self not to grow up too quickly! Enjoy being a kid! Oh well. I sigh. I decide to message him to ask him where we are going to meet tomorrow. I could just text him but.... I want to hear his voice. Three 'rings' and then.
"Hey man! What's up!" He sounds cheery, that makes me smile.
"Hey! I was just calling to ask you where you want to meet tomorrow," He doesn't answer, "...At the parade."
"Ohhh. Yeah of course! You've been there before, you pick somewhere and tell me." I pause before replying.
"Ummm, what about the entrance... there's a little balloon stand near the entrance. We'll meet there."
"Ok sure!" He sounds exhilarated.
"You sound hyped! I'm so happy you're coming."
"Of course man. I wouldn't miss helping my b-b-best friend..." His voice drops to a monotone key, and he seem nervous.
"See you then."
"Oh ok. Bye." He hangs up.

Oh no, I completely ruined our conversation. I should've asked what was wrong, and now I feel terrible. But, I don't want to call him back, that'd be weird.

-The next day-

I arrive at the Pride Parade entry, and stand beside the rainbow balloon stand they have every year. It's sort of like a statement piece, but it's just a small statement. People here like to be bold...all or nothing. So I wore my rainbow holographic outfit, and brought my little pride flag. Too bad Shelby's in hospital, otherwise I would've taken her this year. It's her first pride celebration and she's waiting in bed, patiently hoping her cancer test will come back negative. The least they could've done would be getting her purple and black bed sheets. Luckily, Joey and his boyfriend are coming with their dogs this year, I can't wait to see them again. Sadly, Steph couldn't come to represent her 'pan' self, since she's still organising her wedding, I mean her and Oli have been together for 7 years now... it's about time. I wonder how Jack is doing... without Becky... being bi.
I need to stop rethinking these overwhelming thoughts and just absorb my surroundings. I look around me and see a tall, blonde, guy, and I can't stop staring at him. But, when he sees me staring he walks past me only to hug the balloon stand man! Ugh! Can't I get anyone?! I've been waiting for 30 minutes past the time Callum said he would meet me here... maybe he's lost. "Ping!" -1 new message from 'Cal Boi'".

"Sorry Scott... I'm not coming."