phase one : heartbreaks

•••

•••

One-sided love hurt, especially when the person you loved like crazy didn't realize it or say, loved someone else.

Natasha Rehman knew what she was getting into when she fell in love with her best friend, Farhan Sheikh of all people. He was her charming and caring friend, who she knew for years now. She came to know him through her other best friend, Haya Ali; who introduced them both in their middle school. They were close ever since.

Haya and Farhan were neighbours, that's how they knew each other. And not just that they had a thing for each other, which everyone knew.

As much as it hurt, Natasha had to accept that.

Farhan was a couple of years older than the two, so he graduated from the university rather very quickly. Natasha did not realize how quick time has passed and now she is in her final year of her bachelor's degree as well.

"What are you doing?" Natasha shrieked at her so-called classmates who grabbed her assignments and began to copy them quickly.

"Please yaar." Now they were polite. When in need everyone turns polite. She couldn't help but roll her eyes at them.

"But I want it nice and safe before the lecturer comes." They just nodded their heads and busied themselves in writing the notes as fast as they could.

With the last semester approaching in a month or so, assignments were piled upon them regarding their internals and no one except Natasha has finished them. It was much expected since she is considered the typical nerd of their year, who wears odd dresses.

Wearing traditional became odd these days to the younger generation people, who are hell bent on copying the west and forgetting their roots. But Natasha was more comfortable with desi wears. And would never give that up, not for this stupid judgemental society. But it does makes her feel insecure sometimes.

"Haya... Where are you?" Natasha phone called her best friend, as she walked towards their canteen.

"I'm almost done with my assignments. Will be there in a few. Call Farhan for me. You talk with him till I come." Haya told in a hurry and hung up before Natasha could even say something. A slight frown appears on her face at that.

Farhan liked Haya and Haya liked Farhan. It was as simple and as complicated as that.

Falling in love with Farhan was not intentional, nor does Natasha wants to mess things between the trio, who were inseparable from middle school. Her stupid crush can stay with herself she thought. It all started right when high school ended and there was three months gap before their university began.