seven

Days passed by and it was the day of their mehndi already. Natasha hasn't talked with Farhan since that mall incident. Dolled up in a maroon colour Anarkali, she was made to sit in the middle and an artist sat beside her to draw the designs on her hands. She was not at all excited about this marriage, Farhan's words from that day still echoed in her ears. His cold and harsh tone still made her flinch.

How can she be happy after hearing your fiance say that he considered her as nothing but his sister all these days and wants nothing except friendship with her? Her heart couldn't take all of that anymore. If that was less, he then goes around saying straight to her face that he'd never be a loving or caring husband. She broke down in her prayer that night and her days had been horrible ever since.

It's been a few days now and it still hurt.

"What's your fiance's name?" the artist asked her, to which she gives a blank stare.

"There's no need for that," Natasha replied dully.

"That would be cute api, you can make Jeeju suffer by writing it in the most difficult place and see him find it." her little cousin, Abeer snickered making everyone else laugh. Only then she realized the attention which she was getting. Why was this not ending already?

"Where shall I write it then?" the artist asked with a grin again. There was no need for the artist at all, her cousins are good at drawing mehndi designs anyway, but it was Ameera Sheikh who has arranged for it and no words were spoken further.

That's the kind of respect the bride's family gave to the groom's parent's wishes, they'd do anything to please them. Natasha found that all the more annoying but she kept quiet for her parent's sake.

"There's no need," Natasha whined and the artist didn't budge her any further. Her cousins pouted at that as they continued with their own mehndi; excitedly. The wedding was tomorrow after all.

And that made Natasha more nervous if anything.

***

Farhan couldn't comprehend what was happening around him anymore. He was getting married, but not to his Haya; the one with whom he has always pictured his married life with.

His mother was the most excited of them all, to see him get married today. He pretended to be happy for her sake anyway and that's how he sat in the middle of the few guests; the very important ones, who surrounded either side of him. The qazi walked into the living room and everyone looked up at him with happiness and excitement.

A large curtain was set in the middle and the bride walked into the other end; slowly. With her head covered in golden chunri, she looked radiant in her red coloured lehenga. He wouldn't lie, his heart surely skipped a beat as he eyed her sit in front of him through a distance. The only barrier among them was a curtain. The dress looked so good on her that he doubted if he actually designed that one.

Never has his own designs looked this good before, like it was looking today.

He came out of his daze when the qazi began with the nikah ceremony.

Natasha took a while to mutter her three qubools and he gulped when it was his turn. That's it. There's no going back now. He's going to be tangled in a bond which he never wished for, a wife he never wanted but when the qazi asked his consent again, with a lot of courage he opened his mouth and muttered, "qubool hai." three times in a row.

Mubaraks were passed among the elders and youngsters erupted in joy and happiness. Ironically, everyone was happy except for the bride and groom. They wished this never happened. Not even a minute passed and Farhan was already regretting his decision. Natasha was confused about every damn thing now.