Chapter 22: Oberyn

Oberyn found himself often spending time with Sansa's brother Rickon during this time. He was good kid. He'd just been through a lot for such young boy. He'd been asleep in the tent when Bran and Theon had been shot. He'd told Oberyn. He felt guilty that he was not there to help them. Oberyn helped him understand that none of this was his fault and there was nothing he could. The boy attached himself to Oberyn.

Oberyn loved his daughters with all his heart. He wouldn't trade them for anything. Oberyn had always wanted a son. He imagined a little boy with tan skin, dark eyes, and flame of red hair. He loved it. Her family happily accepted his help and presence. He had given Catelyn and Ned a lot of information about life with someone in a wheelchair. He'd helped with his brother's care a lot in his youth. Sansa's family was close much like his own. He'd texted Doran and asked if he would come for the funeral and to talk to Bran.

 He'd texted Doran and asked if he would come for the funeral and to talk to Bran

Doran, his children, and Oberyn's children would come to be there for Sansa. No one gave a single complaint. They'd all come to love Sansa as well. She had that effect on people. She encouraged feelings of love in all who met her.

He watched her plan out every detail of the funeral. She was a force when she was working. It turned him on in way it probably shouldn't her being the boss. The night they'd all made fun of each other and reminisced about Theon was a hard night for Sansa. She'd fallen asleep crying in his arms.

When her parents came home with Bran, he'd approached Ned the next morning.

"I want to thank you for all you've done for my family during this time, Oberyn. I have gotten word that Ramsey has been brought into custody. Ned Stark said uncomfortable in his presence.

"Not a problem. I would do anything for Sansa and her family. You may be glad to know that Joffery has been disowned by his grandfather along with his mother and her twin. It turns out he wasn't a Baratheon at all. In fact, none of the children are. Joffery will be spending his life in Dornish prison." He said waving a hand.

"I see, that is rather shocking. I will have to check on Robert after all this. Well... My daughter has not had the best luck with men. It might be our fault. We didn't tell her that not all men are princes that treat girls like princesses." Ned sighed.

"I understand. I won't treat your daughter as princess either, though." Oberyn said firmly.

"Huh?" Ned asked his eyes hardening.

"Your daughter isn't a little girl anymore. She's a woman. She's intelligent, driven, kind, compassionate, hard-working, and beautiful. She's not a princess, anymore, Ned. She's a queen. I will treat her as such. You see, Ned. I have been trying to come up with a way that your daughter could come be with me without her feeling like she's a trophy wife. She's not. I don't deserve her, I knew that. I want to offer her a job. I know she's unhappy at Stark INC. I think you do to. She gets disrespected constantly. She hates it. Dorne she would be treated as an equal by all. You see many people want to have events at the resort. My daughter Tyene used to do it, but she has interest outside of Dorne. She wants to move on. A position for an event coordinator has become available. After witnessing her in action with the funeral, she's breathtakingly good. I want your blessing, Ned. Today is a hard day. I shouldn't have put this to you now. I... I guess I couldn't stop myself." Oberyn said his heart racing.

Ned sat quietly staring out his window. They sat in silence for a long time. He heaved a sigh and looked at Oberyn.

"I want to see a formal offer." He said eyes hard.

"Doran is bringing one." Oberyn answered his heart slowing and unclenching.

"Your brother is coming?" Ned looked stunned.

"My whole family is coming. As I have said they like Sansa more than me. They want to support her." Oberyn said smiling.

"Do you love her?" Ned asked seriously.

"I do." Oberyn replied.

"Enough for her to be your one and only?" Ned asked pointedly.

"Yes." He said meaning every word.

Oberyn Martell was going to monogamous with Sansa Stark for as long as he lived. Sansa was it. Ellaria had been right. If he hadn't had her and lost her. He would never had taken the time to appreciate Sansa and all that she had to offer. He wouldn't have known this kind of happiness. He was going to settle down. His brother was going to have a field day.

The funeral was hard to watch Sansa go through that. When his family arrived and went to talk to Sansa, her reaction made his heart soar. She'd embraced them all and they her. He'd never seen a more perfect sight. She turned and looked at him with love and affection. He couldn't think that he could love her more and she proved him wrong at every turn. She'd made it through her speech at the funeral beautifully. She looked like a queen addressing her subjects and he couldn't be more proud to be hers.

They adjourned to the hall afterwards, by they he met Doran, Ned, Arianne, Nym, and Tyene. That's when they sat down and began to work out a proper job offer for Sansa to come work at The Sand Snake Resort. Her father haggled with Doran on everything. Both men making concessions. Ned was trying to angle for her to have a bigger salary.

"That's a moot point." Nym said causally.

The men all turned and looked at her. Tyene giggled. Arianne rolled her eyes.

"Why?" Ned asked.

"She'll be set for life once dad marries her. She'll only have to work if she wants to." Nym said as if this was obvious.

All eyes turned to Oberyn. He felt flush. He didn't think that had ever happened before.

"I want to... Marry her I mean... soon... but not too soon... is it to soon... I want your blessing of course. Catelyn's as well..." Oberyn stammered.

He'd never stammered in his life. Now he was a mess of words. Doran chuckled. Ned looked dumbfounded. His daughters smiled sweetly. Arianne giggled.

"When did you know?" Ned asked.

"The minute she walked in my brother's dining room the night we met. I was done for." Oberyn said and to Oberyn's great surprise, Ned smiled.

"Well then, when your ready you have my blessing." Ned said shaking his hand.

"Mine, as well." Catelyn said.

They hadn't seen her come up. She smiled warmly at him. Oberyn looked at his daughters.

"We had a sister conclave and we vote marry that girl, dad." Nym smirked.

He beamed at them both and kissed their heads. He looked to Doran.

"May your life be full of love and light." Doran smiled at him taking his hand.

"Thank you brother." Oberyn said.

He looked around for her. He couldn't find her.

"She stepped outside." Catelyn said softly.

He smiled and nodded. He went to find her. He wanted to present her with job now. He found her talking to lean and comely woman. They appeared to be fighting. Sansa began to walk away. The woman said something and Sansa turned. He opened the door. He heard their voices carry to him.

"We all make mistakes Yara." Sansa said turning, "I will have a portion of his ashes sent to you."

"Thank you." Yara said wiping her eyes and walking away.

He met her at the entrance. He looked at her face to make sure she was ok.

"Who was that, my love?" He asked brushing a thumb over her cheek.

"Yara Greyjoy." Sansa said holding him close.

"Ah." He said holding her tight, "Come, my brother has business proposal for you."