Chapter 20

-Shinso's POV-

When I was sitting in my bed watching cat videos I heard a knock on my door. I paused the video reluctantly and called out to whoever was on the other side to come in. It was my mom, she came in with a letter on her hand and a pained smile on her face.

"It's UA's exam results, you might want to open it." She said tossing the letter to me. She was about to leave a close the door but something seemed to be on her mind as she stayed frozen in the doorway.

"Mom? Are you okay?" I asked her. Lately she's been acting like this, like looking at me just pains her.

"Oh um" she said as she jumped from my question, obviously lost in her thoughts again. "Can I come in?"

"Sure, is everything okay?" I asked moving over on my bed so she had enough space to sit next to me. She walked in, looking at the ground as she did so and sat beside me. She sat there silent and fidgeting in anxiousness. "Mom?" I asked her again, in hearing my voice she finally looked up. Her eyes meeting mine, something that hasn't happened in awhile, and then again looking to the floor.

"Im sorry."

"What mom, wha-" I started to say as she cut me off.

"Please let me finish, it's something that I've wanted to say to you for awhile but I never had the courage to. If I don't say it now I don't know if I can later." She sighed looking at me again. "I'm sorry for the way I've treated you, I always knew that it was never your fault for what happened to me, but instead I blamed you and that was wrong. Before you open this letter I just want you to know that no matter what you get, I'm proud of you." She said, reaching over and placing her hand on mine. "Your dad is too but he's too macho to say something, or at least something like that, never could understand man's pride. Anyways, I know you'll be a great hero S-Hitoshi."

I started tearing up, my mom and I were never really that close even though we lived in the same house. She had always called me Shinso, never Hitoshi and to hear that they were proud. That they were proud of me, something that I've always been trying to do since I was little, it made me so happy. My mom then awkwardly held out her hands, I accepted and we both shared an awkward hug. It was the first time that my mom was actually trying to talk nicely to me, I could see that she felt bad and was trying to change. We both the drew away from each other, my mom quickly standing up and head over to the door, not really knowing how to act. She then gave an awkward smile and closed the door leaving me in my thoughts. 'Did that really just happen?' I thought. "That's right I have to text Izu" I said to myself. I texted him that I got my letter and asked if we could meet at the cafe at 6:30. After an hour I finally heard back from him, he must have been training the other demis or something.

Izu💚: Yes can't wait!

I smile after seeing his text, I swear just hearing or even seeing his name gives me butterflies. Seeing that it's already almost 6:00 I start to get ready. I put on one of my sweatshirts and grabbed my letter, heading out my room heading over to the door where my shoes lay. Slipping them on I check the time again 6:10, it only took a bit more than 5 minutes to get there. I sighed, 'I'm all ready but now I don't know what I want to do, I just want to go and see him already.' I thought as I walked over to the bathroom and checked myself in the mirror, seeing if I looked okay. I tried taming my hair but I know it's a lost cause, after several minutes with no results, I decided that this was the best I was ever going to do. 'Might as well just leave now and great there a few minutes early.' I thought, finally heading out the door, saying bye to my parents.

Finally reaching the cat cafe, I sat down in my regular spot, letting a cat walk over to me and jump on my lap. Petting the small black cat behind its ears, I then heard it start purring. I smiled at the cute cat and looked up at the clock on the wall of the cafe, 6:20. 'Looks like I'll be waiting for a little bit.' I thought.