.twelve.

Pain. That's all I could feel as I came to. I felt searing pain in my neck, but also my leg and head. I didn't yet have the strength to open my eyes, but the sound of machines and the quietness of the place told me I occupied a hospital bed.

Steady beeping was actually helpful to me as I came out of whatever sleep I had been in, allowing me to focus on something consistent and with rhythm as I brought myself back to life, focusing away from the pain all over my body. 

The first thought I had that wasn't the pain, was Jared. Did he know I hadn't meant to stand him up? Last I remember, we were at the bonfire, and we were going to go for a walk. He wanted to talk to me. And now I'm here. Did he think I ditched? I missed him. I wanted to see him.

The thought of Jared made the beeping on the monitor pick up speed, and in response, my cheeks were able to flush with life. Even on my death bed, he still had that effect on me. My dad's head shot up in the sound, searching me for signs of life.

"Juliet?" I heard my dad's tired voice as he shuffled towards me, and felt him grab my hand in his

"Juliet?" I heard my dad's tired voice as he shuffled towards me, and felt him grab my hand in his. "You awake, baby girl? I'm right here." he spoke so softly, and his husky voice told me he had been worried sick, potentially sleepless. 

I managed a squeaky grunt, and gave it everything I had to open my eyes finally, blinded by white light as I did, but after blinking what seemed like one hundred times, I was able to make out the shape of my father's relieved face.

He sighed in gratitude, holding me as closely as he could manage around all the wires. 

"I'll get the nurse okay?" he said, leaning down to press the call button. "I missed you so much darling, you had me worried sick!" he whispered, pulling his chair closer so he could commit to being by my side. 

I looked at him with wide but tired eyes, well one eye, attempting to formulate words that didn't want to come out yet. I think he understood, because he figured out that I couldn't talk yet.

"Blink once if you remember anything, twice if you don't?" he offered, to which I blinked twice straight away, my left eye burning as I did. He seemed happy with his system. "Well you went to the bonfire with your friends, and there was a big dog on the beach, off the lead. And it ran up to you and pushed you to the ground, and you fell back onto a pile of rocks, cracked your head open, broke your leg on the impact, sprained your wrist trying to fight the dog off, and he took a chunk out of your neck in the attack."

As he spoke, my memory of what actually happened formed in my mind. It hadn't been a dog. It was a woman. Did I dream it? Am I losing my mind? I remember her red hair, her blood eyes.

"You've got a fair few scratches and bruises, but it's  your head and neck they were worried about the most. You've been asleep for two days now. Your friends brought you in here straight away, Jared and the guys haven't left. They're all out in the waiting room for you."