.fourteen.

After a couple more days in the hospital, and some very impressed nurses at my speedy recovery, Carlisle released me. Jared hadn't left unless Pia and Elliot were there, knowing I would value some private time with them seeing as they were leaving once I was discharged. Though they promised to visit soon.

Before they left, I made sure the Cullens met them, to which Pia had some very vocal thoughts about the Washington genes and how sexy Edward and Rosalie in particular were.

Once I was released, I found it hard to use my crutches due to my injured wrist, but soon figured out the best way to move around. And my dad made sure I didn't have to move around too much, also, only leaving me today for the first time.

"Okay, so you're sure you've got everything you need?" he assured before work. He had set me up with the TV remote and water and my phone, anything I may need.

"Dad, for the 18th time, I promise I'll be fine. Go. Plus my friends will be here later anyway." I explained, beckoning him to go. 

After finally getting him out the door, I messaged both Jasper and Sam, who had asked me to alert them when he was gone so that both the Cullens and the pack could come over. This should be interesting. I remember back to the tense nature between the two groups and the way they seem so on edge around each other. Maybe I'll finally figure out why.

The pack arrived first, Jared squeezing me the tightest and sitting beside me on the couch where my injured leg sat across from me on the ottoman. "You ready?" he asked, knowing I was aware that the following conversation would be a heavy one.

"Hard to be ready when you don't know what you're preparing for," I teased. "But yes, I'll be fine."

"Well I"m right here the whole time, okay?" he squeezed my hand and I felt him along with the whole room tense as the Cullen's car pulled up. 

Sam warned, "Be nice," to the pack before moving to greet Carlisle at the door with a firm handshake. Paul, Leah and Quil seemed the most on edge, in comparison completely to Seth who greeted Edward with a massive smile, and Jared who once again made an effort with Carlisle and thanked him for coming.

"How are you feeling, Juliet?" Edward spoke kindly as the two groups made themselves comfortable around the couches, chairs and some on the floor or standing. 

"I wish you guys would stop worrying about me, I'm fine! Just a few bumps and bruises. I'm honestly just really excited to get this suspense out of the way and find out what the hell is going on," I replied, laughing to show I wasn't mad.

They chuckled at my persistence, Esme stepping forward and putting a hand on my shoulder. "Just stop us at any time if this gets too much, okay?" I nodded.

Carlisle gave a nod to Sam, indicating for him to start.

"Right, well Juliet as you know, we're wolves. Jared told you that in the hospital. We were there the night of your attack." 

I nodded. "Yeah, I know. Still think you guys are awesome," I responded, attempting to lighten Sam's mood. He always seemed so serious. It seemed to work slightly.

"Well what we didn't explain to you is why we shift. None of us became wolves or first phased until we were about 16/17, 14 in Seth's case, but you get the idea. And those genes kick in around threats to our biology. Now do you remember the story about why we shift from the fire?" 

I thought back to the legends. "Uh I think it had something to do with an enemy?" I questioned.

"The cold ones," he finished for me, striking my familiarity. 

"Oh yeah, The cold ones, that's it." I agreed, showing I was up to speed.

Sam then looked to Carlisle to take over, standing so the Dr could be sitting in front of me now.