Ch 3: Always a Show (Ace)

I walked into the dressing room with a sigh, tossing my makeup kit on the counter and flopping into a chair, staring at my reflection. Peter came and perched on the counter next to me, taking a drag off his cigarette before giving me a kiss. "What's up?"

"I don't want to do this tonight," I muttered. "I just want to go out and get drunk and party and shit." Peter nodded, putting out his cig and running a hand through his hair. "Yeah, me too. Might rail a few lines before the show. But hey, how about we do go out and get drunk and party afterwards? Once we're done with the show we're off the hook and we can just go wild if we want! " I perked up, grinning. "Gosh you're so smart babe, that's why I love you so much."

With a wink, he leapt off the counter, opening his kit. I did the same, pulling out my white greasepaint and tying back my hair. "Alright Ace, time to become the Spaceman," I said to myself. I started to apply my makeup while Peter pulled out a small baggy of cocaine, pouring it onto the counter and pushing it into a few lines.

I had just finished my base coat and he had just started taking lines when the door opened and Gene walked in, scowl immediately spreading across his face. He grabbed Peter by the shoulder, pulling him away from the counter and running a hand through the coke, scattering it on the ground. "Hey! That cost money!" he cried.

Gene shook his head, absolutely furious. "Shut up. Shut the fuck up. You're not throwing our show because of your drug habit. I've told you so many times, save it for after if you're going to do it at all." Equally furious, Peter shoved him away. "Oh fuck off you bitch, why the hell do you get to dictate what happens ?!" I rolled my eyes, turning back to the mirror as they fell into another argument.

"Because I have a family to support, alright ?! I need the band and I need it to be successful! Just please man, show up sober to our shows, that's all I'm asking!" "Next time you could just talk to me instead of wasting my cocaine!" Rolling my eyes again, I put a hand on my husband's arm, shooting him a look. "Hey babe it's fine. Just chill and we'll get messed up after the show or whatever you want, I promise. Gene's got a point, you should at least be sober for the show! For the fans and all that!"

Peter pouted at me. "You would take his side," he muttered. Shaking my head, I kissed him for a bit longer this time, slipping my tongue into his mouth and feeling him melt in my arms before breaking apart. "Oh shut up," I said softly, giving him a grin. He smiled back, eyes shining. "Mm after the show you're all mine, you sexy man, alright?" "Wouldn't have it any other way!"

We went through the show just like always, with Peter thankfully sober enough to play as well as I knew he was capable of. And once it was finally over, I dragged my husband backstage, giving him a long kiss. "Alright you adorable man, get cleaned up and get in regular clothes and then we're going back to our hotel room and I'm taking you right back out of those clothes, yeah?" "Mmm sounds dreamy," he purred, squeezing my hand and stripping off his costume.

Once we finally made it back to our room, I gave him a smile, stripping off my shirt and patting the bed next to me. Grinning, he also got shirtless, immediately pulling me into a kiss. We went at it for awhile before falling back against the pillows.

I cuddled up next to Peter, wrapping my arms around him and burying my face in his chest. "Hey babe did I ever tell you how much I love you?" I murmured. He smiled, kissing me on the forehead. "Every day. But I always like hearing you say it because I love you too." I nestled closer against him, giving him a squeeze. "Hey doll can I tell you something before we have our fun?" "Uh-huh, of course. Go for it!"

"Peter when we were kids you did a lot of stupid things and you got yourself into a lot of trouble. And I did a lot of stupid things with you and got into a lot of trouble with you. My first time getting high was with you. Broke into my first car with you. Got the cops called on me for the first time with you. Got suspended for the first time with you. "

He nodded, face burning. "Ace I'm really s--" "Shush I'm not done talking yet! So yeah, you and I were kind of messed up kids. But you and I have also changed. And I'm really proud to see how much you've grown as a person. And I'm really happy you've been able to help me grow too. And I really love you and I'm really glad we're married. "

Peter fell silent, before taking a shaking breath and kissing me, trying and failing to blink back tears. "Ace ... Ace I wanna say that I'm sorry. I don't know what I was doing as a kid, I was a whole ass mess and all I wanted to do was have a good time, no matter what. I did drag you down and I'm sorry. " "Hey! Shut up! I did all of that stuff willingly! I like to party just as much as you do, and I liked to party just as much when we were kids! Don't blame yourself!"

"Well I'm also really happy to see the person you are now. And I'm really happy we're married and I love you and I can't imagine life without you," he said quietly, snuggling against me. "Damn, I really love you."

"I love you too. I love everything about you, you know that? I like your pretty eyes and your cute freckles and your dumb gray hair and your tattoos and just everything about you." He melted in my arms, turning my face toward his and making out with me. "Damn you truly are just an absolute dreamboat," he murmured, climbing on top of me with a hand moving toward my waistband.