Ch 37: Godfather (Paul)

Eric sat behind his drum kit, hair tied back out of his face and giving us all a huge grin. "So you guys are having an album tour coming up?" he asked. I nodded, running a hand through my hair. "Yeah, for Unmasked. How've you been doing on learning the songs?" "Good! I've pretty much got them all! Do I get a drum solo during the tour?" he asked, tapping his sticks against his thigh.

"We'll see how it fits in to the setlist and let you know," Gene mumbled, strumming his bass sadly. I frowned, looking at him. Between Ace and Peter splitting and Gene being upset about who the hell knows what, practices had gotten a lot less fun. At least Eric was still cheerful. 

After we had finished rehearsing, I caught up with Gene in the parking lot after Eric and Ace had left. "Hey, you're good for Friday, right?" I asked, falling into step beside him. "Look I just...I need to take a break, alright? I can't practice this weekend," Gene said after a pause. "What? Why not? Dude, we have a tour coming up, we need to be ready! We need to have our setlist ironed out and make sure Eric knows what to do, you need to be there! Why wouldn't you be there?!" I cried.

"Because my marriage is falling apart, okay?! Is that what you wanted to here?!" he shouted. Stunned, I took a step back, heart sinking. "No. That isn't what I want to hear. I'm sorry," I murmured. "I need to take a break. I need to spend time with my family, with my wife! I haven't had a fucking date night in six months!" he cried, tears welling up in his eyes despite how aggressively he was trying to blink them away. Heart sinking even lower, I put a hand on his arm.

"Hey, look, listen. Give me Nick for the weekend. I'll take care of him and you and Shannon can have two days to yourself." A look of immense relief passed across his face. "R-really? You'd do that?" I nodded, grinning. "Yes. You deserve to have a few nights off! And besides, I'm his godfather, I have a responsibility." Gene gave me a huge hug, cracking my back. "Fucking hell Paul I love you so much holy shit thank you. Oh! That reminds me. Do you know if people can be godparents to more than one kid in the same family?" Gene asked.

 I squinted at him. "And I would know that why?" "I dunno! You're rich, that seems like a rich person thing," he muttered. Face burning, I rolled my eyes. "Shut up. I mean...I think so? I think it's up to the people involved. No idea though."

"Okay cool anyway Shannon's pregnant again so you want to be godfather to that one too?" he asked casually. I drew to a halt, staring at him. "Sorry, sorry, my ear must be acting up again. You wanna say that again?" He gave me a really proud smile. "Shannon's pregnant again, do you want to be the godfather of the second Simmons baby?"

Stunned, I stared at him before a slow smile spread across my face and I gave him a hug. "Hell yeah I will! Congrats man!" He laughed, hugging me back. "Thanks! Yeah I'm really excited to have another kid. I like babies, they're cute. Bummer I'm going to have to miss out on a bunch of sleep again." 

"I'm sure it'll be worth it," I said with a grin, and he smiled back.

The doorbell rang Friday night and I opened it excitedly. "Hey Nick!" He gave me a smile, clutching a small backpack. "Hi Unca Paul!" Shannon gave me a relieved smile, giving me a hug and a kiss on the cheek. "Paul I honestly cannot thank you enough for taking care of him for the weekend. Gene and I both owe you one, anything you need just ask us!" "No, no it's no problem, it's fine! I love Nick, I'm happy to take care of him any time!" I said, scooping up Nick in my arms.

Shannon gave me a smile before giving Nick a kiss on the forehead. "Now you be good for your Uncle Paul, alright? I'll pick you up Sunday afternoon! I love you sweetheart!" she said. "Bye Mama!" he said, smiling as she gave us a parting wave and joined Gene in the car. We watched as they drove off before I turned to Nick. "Alright you! What do we want to do tonight? More specifically, what do you want to do for dinner?"

"M'Dona's!" he said excitedly, and I felt my smile grow forced. "Oh, no, not there, their food isn't good. How about we make pizza? It's not that hard, and you're almost four, I'm sure I can teach you!" I said cheerfully, carrying him into the kitchen. If I got Nick McDonald's, Gene would 100% murder me when he got home. 

I set Nick on the counter, getting some dough out of the fridge and dumping some flour on the counter. "Alright Nick, here's what we do! Put some flour on your hands, the counter, and the dough, and then roll it out like this, see?" I said, demonstrating. He nodded, watching with wide eyes, and I got a stepstool, standing him on it and draping an apron over his clothes. "Now you give it a try!" 

For a three year old, he did pretty well, and I sent a Snapchat of him doing his best to roll out the dough to Eric. 

lmao he's better at making pizza than u are 

paul i swear u take that back rn before i dump u again

sorry my dumb blond i can't tell a lie

bullshit, i'll have a contest with him one day and i'll win

sure you will

After Nick and I had finished rolling out the dough, he very happily helped me apply the sauce and cheese and toppings. "Alright, now we put it in the oven and get you cleaned up!" I said, carrying him over to the sink. 

Later that night, when dinner had been finished and Nick had been put to bed, I stuck my head into the guest room to check on him, smiling as I saw him fast asleep under the blankets. He really was absolutely adorable.