Ch 19: Not Here (Eric S)

I watched with almost smug satisfaction as Bruce stormed over to where the four of them were standing awkwardly, drawing to a halt and folding his arms across his chest. "If any of you do anything to ruin his wedding, I will not hesitate to beat your ass," he hissed. I nodded, trying to bite back a smile. "Yeah. I second that. You guys had your chance to be here and be a part of it, but you didn't bother to RSVP. No no, that's not good enough for Kiss. Kiss has to just show up uninvited and crash the wedding."

All of their faces turned red and they exchanged shameful glances. "Sorry," Paul mumbled, giving me a sad look, and I immediately felt my heart melt before mentally kicking myself. He wasn't going to win me back with his adorable brown puppy dog eyes. Not that easily.

"You do anything to draw attention to yourselves, that's it. If any of you get drunk or steal the show, literally anything, and that's it. I'm not warning you again," Bruce snarled, before turning and walking off. I flipped Paul off and followed him, meeting up with Tommy and Eric at the altar. Eric looked like he was on the verge of tears. "Holy fucking shit I'm getting married," he mumbled.

I nudged him, smiling. "Hell yeah man!" I could see Bruce staring at the back of the venue and joined him in watching Gene, Paul, Peter and Ace take their seats. I put a hand on his arm. "Hey, just let it go. Don't think about them. Your best friend is getting married, focus on that instead." He sighed before nodding, giving me a smile. "Good point."

The wedding went off without a hitch. Carrie looked absolutely gorgeous in her wedding dress and Eric cried while trying to recite his vows. And Gene, Paul, Peter and Ace sat in the back of the venue, trying very hard to look like they weren't there.

They didn't even try to approach Eric until after the reception had ended. A huge smile split his face and he gave Carrie a kiss before jumping to his feet, running a few steps and giving Gene a hug. "Aw you guys made it!" he said eagerly. I could see Bruce tense and exchanged a nervous glance with Tommy, who just shook his head. "Yeah! Sorry we didn't RSVP man, we didn't really know who to tell. But hey, congrats on getting married!" Gene said, which was quickly seconded by the rest of them.

"Thanks! Yeah I'm really glad you guys were able to come, even if it was a surprise!" Eric said, having way too good of a day to even be close to being bitter toward them. "I can't believe you're married, curly! It's like watching your little brother getting married," Ace said, tearing up slightly. "Shut up I'm older than you," Eric said with a grin.

As they kept talking off to the side Carrie walked over, leaning on Bruce's shoulder with a smile. "You are very pissed," she said cheekily. He laughed, shaking his head before taking a sip of champagne. "Hey, you said it, not me." Carrie sighed, still smiling. "Don't tell my husband but I don't blame you. And I don't disagree, either. Having to watch his heart get broken every week they didn't respond to the invitations was rough. And then mm! They just show up here anyway! Bullshit," she muttered, and the three of us laughed.

"Ah, but he's happy, and that's what I really care about. But come on, strike up a conversation, I'm really trying to avoid talking with them," she said, eyes dancing. I grinned, running a hand through my hair. "Hey, you and me both. Paul's been staring at me all day. Let's go find something to do." "Ooh, how about we go make sure the bartender got paid!" she said cheerfully.

I jumped to my feet, holding out an arm which she took with a smile, walking with me to the bar. "Hey Benny! You been paid?" she asked, leaning on the counter. The bartender nodded, giving her a smile. "That I have been! Can I get you two a drink?" "Please," I said, and Carrie quickly seconded that.

We sat at the bar and I took a sip of my margarita. "So you're pissed they showed up?" I asked. Carrie rolled her eyes. "Beyond pissed. The fact they treated all of their old friends the way they did and then just show up with no apology or notice? It's so them, it's just so them, and I hate it. You know what else?" she said.

I shook my head, taking another sip. "No, what?" "They didn't. Bring. Gifts," she hissed. I sat back, covering my mouth with my hand. "No they didn't," I said. She nodded, eyes flashing. "They showed up uninvited and didn't even have the decency to bring a card from Walmart. But Eric's just so happy to have them here! And I love seeing him happy, he's an absolute treasure of a man and he deserves the best. But damn it's going to be hard to pretend like I'm happy to see them."

Shaking my head, I took another, much longer sip this time. "I don't blame you. I'm not happy to see them either. I don't know if any of us are, except Eric." Carrie sighed, looking at her new husband with a happy smile. "That's because Eric is quite possibly the best human I know and loves his friends and family with his whole heart. Shit, they keep looking at us, act busy."

Grinning, I turned back to the bartender. "Can I get another drink?" He nodded, handing me another margarita. "Paul has been staring at me the entire night and I really, really don't want to talk to him," I muttered. Carrie gave me a sympathetic glance. "Aw, I'm sorry. How are things between the two of you? You're still on a break, right?" I nodded, grimacing. "Yeah. He's not changing, he's still being a total bitch, but he just expects me to stop caring that he still has the same issues I broke up with him for? It's stupid."

She nodded, patting me on the shoulder. "Sounds like him." Before we could keep chatting Eric walked over, giving Carrie a kiss. "Hey Care Bear, you seem pissed," he said with a smile. She shook her head, giving him a smile right back. "No! How could I be pissed on the happiest day of my life?" she cried, kissing him.

Eric laughed, slipping an arm around her waist and resting his chin on her shoulder. "Well, it could have something to do with the four of them showing up unannounced. Which, to be fair, I don't blame you. As much as I love them, they could've at least called. Or, you know. Brought gifts to a wedding like everyone always does."

I grinned, shrugging. "Aw come on Eric, you know times have been tough! They probably couldn't afford a gift!" They burst into laughter as Carrie rose to her feet, holding his hand. "You know me too well, Eric Carr. That's exactly why I'm pissed." "Well I'd hope I know you well, Carrie Carr. I am your husband, after all."

I rose to my feet as they kissed again, draining my drink. "Right well I'll leave you two newlyweds in peace! We'll chase the rest of them out of here and clean up after. Congrats on your marriage, I can't think of anyone who deserves it more!" They both gave me a smile and Carrie kissed me on the cheek. "Thanks for being such a dear and helping. Good luck with Paul, don't go back to him until he's stopped being a bitch."

Eric gave me a hug, eyes filled with tears. "Damn Eric you're such a good friend. Thanks for everything! Couldn't have asked for a better groomsman," he said, shooting a pointed glance at the four of them who were talking with Tommy and Bruce. I grinned, shaking my head. "I couldn't have asked for a better friend in you. Now seriously! Go and enjoy your night and your honeymoon!"

Hand in hand, they walked out of the venue, saying goodbye to the rest of them on the way out. And of course, despite how desperately I was trying to avoid him and despite how obviously I didn't want to talk to him, Paul walked over toward me anyway.